Lanning in Browns training camp, 2012
|No. 5 Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
|Date of birth:||May 21, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Rock Hill, South Carolina|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||200 lb (91 kg)|
|High school:||York (SC) Comprehensive|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2014
|Punting yards:||7, 798|
|Stats at NFL.com|
Spencer Davis Lanning (born May 21, 1988) is an American football punter for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League (NFL). He was signed by the Chicago Bears as an undrafted free agent in 2011. He played college football at South Carolina.
Lanning finished his career with the South Carolina Gamecocks with 171 punts for a 42.6-yard average and 46 punts inside the 20-yard line. He also played kicker during his final two collegiate seasons, connecting on 34 of 44 field goal attempts and 80 of 84 extra points.
Lanning was originally signed by the Chicago Bears as an undrafted free agent in 2011.
New York Jets
Sacramento Mountain Lions
In 2012, he signed with the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL.
Lanning was signed by the Cleveland Browns on May 2, 2012. Lanning was re-signed as a free agent by the Browns February 13, 2013. On September 22, 2013, in a 31–27 win over the Minnesota Vikings, Lanning became the first player since 1968 with a punt, extra point, and touchdown pass in one game. On September 7, 2014, during a game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Lanning was kicked in the face on a punt return by Antonio Brown. He was released on June 6, 2015, when the Browns traded for longtime San Francisco 49ers punter Andy Lee.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Lanning was claimed off waivers by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on June 9, 2015.
On November 11, 2014, Lanning became engaged to Brittany Jasenski.
- "Player Bio - Spencer Lanning" (PDF). Jaguars Media Guide. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- "Jaguars sign punter Spencer Lanning". Jaguars.com. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- Oehser, John. "Inside the Jaguars". Jaguars.com. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- Cimini, Rich (28 August 2012). "Jets claim punter on waivers". ESPN New York. Archived from the original on 28 August 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- Lange, Randy (31 August 2012). "Final 7 Cuts Announced, Roster’s Now at 53". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 31 August 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- Cabot, Mary Kay. "Cleveland Browns awarded punter Spencer Lanning off waivers from Jacksonville". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- Sessler, Marc. "Browns acquire 49ers punter Andy Lee for draft pick". NFL.com. Retrieved 6 June 2015.