|Slogan||Hawke's Bay's Number One Family Attraction!|
|Location||Hastings, New Zealand|
|Opened||Opened as Fantasy Land in 1967, Splash Planet in 1998|
Water rides-Summer (September–April)|
Other rides-All year round
Fantasyland first opened in Easter of 1967. It contained several attractions, including a miniature railway, mini-golf, a steamboat ride, play structures, and flat rides. By the 1990s, the park was beginning to show its age, and the Hastings District Council proposed that it be redeveloped into a waterpark. At the time of its conception the council had decided that the park would be a money spinner and was certain that it would supplement the taxes that local residents paid. The park was also hoped to attract people from outside the region to visit the region and spend money not only at the park but also at local business within the city.
Before Splash Planet left the drawing board the Hastings District Council put the decision on whether or not Splash Planet would be built to public referendum. The referendum outlined a number of policies in an attempt to gain the locals' confidence. These policies included the fact that Splash Planet would be self-sustaining and would not cost the taxpayers any money.
The park contains several wet and dry attractions.
- Double Dipper - Inline tube slide
- Super Cruiser - Open body slide
- Sky Tunnel - Enclosed body slide
- Master Blaster - Heated open/enclosed body slide
- Sky Castle Screamer - Pair of racing body slides
- Never Ending River - A lazy river
- Bumper boats
- Indoor heated pool
- Fantasyland Express - A miniature railway ride originally part of Fantasyland
- Formula Fun Karts - Go-karts
- Jungle Jeeps - Motorized jeep racing, slower than go-karts
- Flying Fox - Two 40 meter flying foxes
- Mini golf
- Tiny Town - Young children's play area
- Beach volleyball
- Pirate Ship- a play structure that was burnt down by arsonists in 2015. The ship, built mainly by volunteers and an original attraction when the park was first established as Fantasyland in 1967, was ablaze when the first of three fire crews from Hastings and Napier arrived after the alarm was raised at 6.01am.
Battle of Hastings Paintball Event
In late 2013 a major paintball event known as the Battle of Hastings took place at Splash Planet. It drew players from around New Zealand to compete in massive paintball battles. The event was held again in October 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Splash Planet.|
- Ramsay, Heather (2008-04-07). "School holiday hints to keep all the family happy". The New Zealand Herald. p. 2. Retrieved 2010-04-16.
- "New Zealand Hawke's Bay Hastings Family Attractions Splash Planet". Hawke's Bay. 2008-01-30.
- "All About Hawkes Bay - Splash Planet...fun... wet and wild". Hawke's Bay. 2008-01-30.
- "Community Link May 28, 2005". Hastings District Council. 2005-05-28.
- "Pirate ship at Hastings' Splash Planet burns down". The Dominion Post. Fairfax. Retrieved 20 December 2015.