Spotted by Locals
|Spotted by Locals|
|Caption||Spotted by Locals Logoorry,|
|Founders||Sanne van Poll-Bakker
Bart van Poll
|Products||Travel guidebook, digital applications, online community|
Spotted by Locals is a publisher of a series of travel guides (apps & blogs) with up to date tips curated by handpicked locals in 60+ cities in Europe and North America.
The city guides are curated by "Spotters" - people who live in the city they write about and speak the local language. All Spotters are selected by founders Sanne & Bart van Poll.
Spotted by Locals is aimed at travelers who want local information about a city, and who want to avoid the typical tourist spots.
Access to travel information from locals is gaining popularity amongst travelers and travel organizations like Lonely Planet. In 2010, Spotted by Locals was one of the co-founders of LocalTravelMovement.com, a not-for-profit responsible travel website and discussion platform aiming to unite companies who commit to operating with Local Travel values.
The Spotted by Locals concept has received coverage on BBC World, and in newspapers and magazines like The Guardian, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung, Le Monde, The Sunday Times, and National Geographic Traveler.
|Mar 2008||Spotted by Locals was founded by Sanne & Bart van Poll, a married couple of avid travelers from Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Apr 2008:||Founders start a 6-month road trip to 21 cities in Europe, to select the first 120 Spotters|
|Nov 2008:||Winner of Mashable Open Web Awards in the category "Travel"|
|Feb 2009:||Winner of Lonely Planet Travel Blog Award in the "Best Group authored Travel blog" category|
|Oct 2010:||Winner of Guardian newspaper "Best Travel Website" Award|
|Feb 2011:||Launch of the iPhone application|
|Jul 2012:||Launch of Android applications|
|Nov 2012:||First "Spotters weekend" in Amsterdam, with 80 Spotters attending|
|Jan 2013:||Launch of first city guides in North America|
|Oct 2014:||Second "Spotters weekend" in Amsterdam, with 100 Spotters from 48 cities attending|
- Lonely Planet Travel Blog - Get Lost, Go local
- Best of the web - BBC World, 19 February 2010
- The Guardian - Spotted online: local guides to Europe's cities, 18 March 2009
- Reiseblog Spotted by Locals - Lieblingsplätze der Insider, 17 September 2009
- Une site anti-piège à touristes - Le Monde, 14 April 2009
- The Sunday Times - The best travel guides on the web, April 3, 2009
- The Telegraph - Travel advice: data roaming charges, August 8, 2011
- Gadling - Iphone app review, January 28, 2012
- The Times - 50 top websites for travel, January 29, 2013
- Mashable Open Web Awards
- Guardian and Observer "Best Travel Website" award
- Spotters weekend 2012
- Spotters weekend 2014