Springing the Blues
|Springing the Blues Festival|
|Location(s)||Jacksonville Beach, Florida|
|Years active||1990 - present|
|Springing the Blues|
Springing the Blues is an annual blues festival held in Jacksonville Beach, Florida. It is one of the largest and oldest blues festivals on the East Coast of the United States. It was first held in 1990 and has been held yearly on the first weekend of April.
The first Springing the Blues festival was held in 1990. The 20th anniversary edition in 2010 featured new features including an exhibit at Beaches Historical Museum and a story contest. The event is free and is mainly sponsored by George's Music.
Past festival lineups
Past performers have included Sharrie Williams, Larry McCray, Phillip Walker, Tinsley Ellis, Saffire – The Uppity Blues Women, Maurice John Vaughn, Earl King, Mitch Woods And His Rocket 88's, Susan Tedeschi, North Mississippi Allstars, Tab Benoit, Little Jimmy King, Henry Gray and the Cats, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Ruby Wilson, Charlie Musselwhite, Roger "Hurricane" Wilson (2006), Rod Piazza & the Mighty Flyers, Eric Steckel, Kim Reteguiz and the Black Cat Bones, Robert Jr. Lockwood, Trampled Under Foot, Alexis P. Suter Band, Victor Wainwright and the Wildroots, R. L. Burnside, Smokey Wilson, Coco Montoya, Smokin' Joe Kubek, JJ Grey & MOFRO, and Bnois King.
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Named by Down Beat magazine as one of the top 50 Music Festivals in the World.
- Named by SouthEast Tourism Society as one of the top 20 destination events in the country.
- Voted in 1997 as "Best Festival in Northeast Florida" by the Folio Weekly magazine annual poll.
- Sam Veal is the festival producer. Spring the Blues was the first festival he produced.His mentor was Edward Robertson who had learned the business from Tom Moffatt,the owner of K-POI Radio,Honolulu,Hi. Mr.Moffatt was an associate of Showco, Los Angles,Ca. At the time Showco was the worlds largest special events producer.
- "The Blues Foundation's List of Festivals". Blues.org. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- Russell, Tony (1997). The Blues: From Robert Johnson to Robert Cray. Dubai: Carlton Books Limited. p. 218. ISBN 1-85868-255-X.
- "Springing the Blues Festival". Firstcoastnews.com. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- "Roger "Hurricane" Wilson | Steve's Live Music". Steveslivemusic.com. 2015-06-27. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- Springing the Blues
- Performance schedule (PDF)
- The Blues Foundation
- Media related to Springing the Blues at Wikimedia Commons