St. Michael's Secondary School
|St. Michael's secondary school|
Contohilah Teladan Yang Baik
|Established||5 October 1888|
|Founder||Rev. William Henry Elton|
|Principal||Mr. Leong Kwok Cheong|
|Grades||Bridge Class - Form Five|
|Affiliations||Parish of St. Michael and All Angels|
|Website||Official Website, Sabah Edu.net, Blogspot, Facebook|
St. Michael's Secondary School is a dual session secondary school located in the city of Sandakan, state of Sabah, East Malaysia. It is located at the foot of Elton Hill which is at the hub of the city on the Churches Road. The school was established on 5 October 1888, making it one of the oldest schools in Sandakan.
St. Michael's Secondary School is a part of the Anglican Diocese of Sabah. The development of Anglican Church schools was inspired by foreign settlers to provide education to their children.
St. Michael's was founded in 1888 by the late Rev. William Henry Elton. At first, there were two students in the school, who taught Rev. William Henry Elton Malay language and Chinese language. In exchange, Rev. William Henry Elton taught them English.
After World War II St. Michael's collapsed, but the school was rebuilt using donations from people around the district.
St. Michael's is divided into two sections. The new building consists of five floors including washroom, staffroom, science laboratories, IT lab, library and classrooms. The other part of the school includes classrooms, Canteen A and surau (a small place of worship for Muslims). Canteen B is located in front of the Canteen A. Between the two buildings, there is an open place for outdoor activities. In addition, there is Elton Square on the ground floor of the new building.
|#||Principal’s name||Year of service|
|1||Rev. William Henry Elton||1888–1892|
|2||H. J. Edney||1893–1894|
|4||Rev. William Henry Elton||1895–1901|
|5||Mr. Henry Elton||1901–1913|
|6||Rev. William Henry Elton||1913–1914|
|7||Rev. R. J. Hitchock||1915–1918|
|8||Mr. L. E. Currey||No record|
|9||Mr. A. N. Ellis||No record|
|10||W. T. Keble||No record|
|11||D. S. Harrison||No record|
|12||Rev. S. M. Collier||No record|
|13||B. J. Sole||No record|
|14||Rev. J. Palsley||No record|
|15||Rev. R. Cutler||No record|
|16||Rev. Henthorne||No record|
|17||Rev. P. Howse||No record|
|18||Mr. Fu Yun Fatt||1946–1947|
|19||Rev. Jack Sparrow||1947–1948|
|20||Rev. Norman Cecil Brown||1948–1949|
|21||Fong Chung Fui (Acting)||1950–1951|
|22||Kenneth Douglas Franklin||1951–1955|
|24||Thien Thau Khiong||1965–1970|
|25||Vun Foh Foh||1970–1987|
|26||Tung Yow Choi||1988–1994|
|27||Mr. Ronnie Khoo||1994–1996|
|28||Dr. Edward Miku Tionsu||1996–1998|
|29||Mr. Henley Liew Yun Ye||1998–2003|
|30.||Mr. Lee Poh Chin||2003–2005|
|31.||Mr. Koh Kim Whatt||2006 - 11 March 2009|
|31.||Mr. Leong Kwok Cheong||2009 - now|
Upon the crest of Elton Hill,
The old St. Michael's School remains;
Here youth are trained with zeal and will,
That all may drill their youthful brains.
* Oh, hail! St. Michael's School,
The seat of light and truth;
Around thy wisdom pool,
Sing we the song of youth.
Thy fame spreads far beyond the seas,
Of Borneo, the isle of bliss;
Advance thy work and never cease
To serve mankind with naught amiss.
Ye sons and maids of Sandakan,
Uphold thy alma mater dear;
Spread wide the truth and join the van,
To fight all evils without fear.
Facilities and buildings
Located on the crest of Elton Hill, next to the World's Heritage, is St. Michael and All Angels' Church, the oldest stone structure in Sabah. It has two academic buildings, a cafeteria, and a multi-purpose court. Legacy Block is a 2-storey wooden building with classrooms, a hall, a cooperation store and a utility room. Another academic building is a 6-storey concrete building leaning on the crest of Elton Hill. It consists of five laboratories, the staff office, the principal's office, a library, an auditorium, a skill training workshop, a kitchen workshop, an art centre, a dental clinic, a book storage room, and a sport equipment storage room.
- The Botanical Garden was created by the "Environment Lovers' Club", has been demolished to secure the Legacy Block.
- The Heliconia Garden is a row of flowers planted by the "Environment Lovers' Club" as part of the Elton Hill's beautification project.
- Michaelean Court is the newest feature of the school for students recess time and will host the new canteen.
- The Parish Hall is an activity hall lent by the church for school events such as the Graduation Ceremony.
St. Michael's schools around the world
- St. Michael's Secondary School (Penampang), Sabah, Malaysia (1902) - Sabah Edu.net
- St. Michael's Institution, Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia (1912) - Homepage - Link 1
- SMK St. Michael, Kedah, Malaysia
- St. Michael's School, Seria, Brunei (1946–2006) - Link 1
- St. Michael's School (now known as St. Joseph's Institution Junior, 2007), Singapore (1955)
- St. Michael's College (High School), Iligan City, Lanao Del Norte, Philippines
- St. Michael's Institute, Bacoor, Cavite, Philippines
- SKH St. Michael’s Primary School, Hong Kong
- St. Michael's International School, Kitano, Kobe, Japan - Homepage
- St. Michael's Convent School, Karachi, Pakistan (1986) - Homepage
- St. Michael's Grammar School, St. Kilda, Victoria, Australia (1895) - Homepage
- St. Michael's Catholic Primary School, Nowra, New South Wales, Australia (1870) - Homepage
- St. Michael's Lutheran School, Australia
- St. Michael's School, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, UK (1922) - Homepage
- St. Michael's Junior School, Galleywood, Chelmsford, Essex, UK (1838) - Homepage
- St. Michael's JI Primary School, Handsworth, Birmingham, UK - Eduweb
- St. Michael's School, Highgate, London, UK - Homepage
- St. Michael Steiner School, Wandsworth, London, UK (2001) - Homepage
- St. Michael's (C) Primary School, Walsall, West Midlands, UK - Homepage
- Kington St Michael CE School, Chippenham, Wiltshire, UK (1970) - Homepage
- St. Michael's School, Aldbourne, Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK (1857) - Homepage
- St. Michael's Primary School, Bodenham, Hereford, Herefordshire, UK - Homepage
- St. Michael and All Angels' Primary School, Brookside, Rearsby, Leicester, UK (1872) - Homepage
- St. Michael's School, Otford, Kent, UK (1872) - Homepage
- St. Michael's Roman Catholic School, Bermondsey, London, UK - Homepage
- St. Michael's Catholic High School & Specialist College, Watford, Herts, UK (1955) - Homepage
- St. Michael's College, Llandaff, Cardiff, UK - Homepage
- St. Michael's College, Tenbury Wells, Worcestershire, UK - Homepage
- St. Michael's Grammar School, Lurgan, Armagh, Northern Ireland - Homepage
- St. Michael's School, Waialua, Hawaii, USA (1944) - Link 1
- St. Michael's School, Cranford, New Jersey, USA - Homepage
- St. Michael School, Clayton, Missauri, USA - Homepage
- St. Michael's Orthodox School, Santa Rosa, California, USA (1994) - Homepage
- St. Michael's College, Burlington, Vermont, USA (1843) - Homepage