St Mary's Church, Maddington
|St Mary's Church|
|Location||Maddington, Shrewton, Wiltshire, England|
|Built||late 12th century|
|Official name: Church of St Mary the Virgin|
|Designated||18 February 1958|
St Mary's Church in the Maddington area of Shrewton, Wiltshire, in the west of England, was built in the late 12th century. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building, and is now a redundant church in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It was declared redundant on 29 December 1975, and was vested in the Trust on 26 July 1979.
The church has Norman origins, belonging to Amesbury Priory in 1179, with the earliest parts of the existing building dating from the late 12th and early 13th century, however there have been several alterations since, including the renewal of the roof of the nave in 1603 funded by Giles Tooker. Sir Stephen Fox became the lord of the manor in the late 17th century and paid for the rebuilding of the chancel and redecoration. A gallery was added in 1637 but has since been removed. In 1853 the chancel was rebuilt and the whole church restored by Thomas Henry Wyatt, including the erection of the gabled porch.
The walls of the nave and chancel have a chequerboard pattern of flint and sandstone. There is a low west three-stage tower, which was added in the 16th century and is supported by diagonal buttresses. The interior includes a large plaster cartouche of strapwork enclosing the date 1637, which may the date of construction of a gallery which has since been demolished. The stained glass includes work by Alexander Gibbs in the south aisle and another by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake in the chancel.
- Historic England, "Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Shrewton (1023996)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 17 April 2014
- "St Mary's Church, Maddington, Wiltshire". Churches Conservation Trust. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
- Diocese of Salisbury: All Schemes (PDF), Church Commissioners/Statistics, Church of England, 2011, p. 6, retrieved 31 March 2011
- "Church of St. Mary, Maddington, Shrewton". Wiltshire County Council. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- Baggs, A.P.; Freeman, Jane; Stevenson, Janet H. "Parishes: Maddington In: A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 15, Amesbury Hundred, Branch and Dole Hundred.". British History Online. Victoria County History. Retrieved 3 September 2016.