St Peter and St Paul's Church, Eckington
|St Peter and St Paul’s Church, Eckington|
St Peter and St Paul’s Church, Eckington
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Dedication||St Peter and St Paul|
|Heritage designation||Grade I listed|
|Deanery||Bolsover and Staveley|
|Diocese||Diocese of Derby|
|Province||Province of Canterbury|
The church dates from the 12th century with elements from the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries. The south aisle porch was added in 1763 by John Platt of Rotherham. Some repair works were undertaken in 1833.
The church was restored between 1877 and 1878 by the architects Flockton of Sheffield. The plaster was removed from the pillars and interior walls. The galleries in the north, west and south were removed. The box pews were replaced with open benches. New stained glass windows were inserted and a new pulpit, reading desk, lectern and communion table were set up. The lectern was manufactured by Jones and Willis. The Dowager Lady Sitwell provided a brass cross for the reredos. The church reopened on 19 June 1878.
The church was remodelled and refurnished by Percy Heylyn Currey in 1907.
The organ was by Brindley & Foster. Following the restoration of the church in 1878, the organ was enlarged by Brindley & Foster with three new stops and an opening recital was given by Dr Haydn Keeton, organist of Peterborough Cathedral. A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.
The church contains memorials to
- Francis Stringer (d. 1727)
- William Sitwell (d. 1776)
- Mary Sitwell (d. 1792)
- Francis Sitwell (d. 1793)
- Hurt Sitwell (d. 1830)
- Sir Sitwell Sitwell (d. 1811) and Caroline Sitwell (d. 1800) by White Watson
- Alice Sitwell (d. 1797)
- George Sitwell (d. 1667) and his wife Margaret (d. 1658)
- Francis Sitwell (d. 1671)
- Thomas Barlow (d. 1694)
- John Staniforth (Mentioned alongside father William) (d. 1800)
The church is in a joint parish with:
- St Luke’s Church, Upper Eckington
- St John the Baptist’s Church, Handley
- St John The Evangelist Church, Ridgeway
- Historic England. "The Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade I) (1045851)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "The restoration of Eckington Church". Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald. Derby. 22 June 1878. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "NPOR N00329". National Pipe Organ Register. British Institute of Organ Studies. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- Derby Diocesan Association of church bellringers - retrieved Aug 2016