Diocese of Derby
|Diocese of Derby|
The nave of Derby Cathedral
|Bishop||Alastair Redfern, Bishop of Derby|
|Suffragan||Jan McFarlane, Bishop of Repton|
|Archdeacon||Christopher Cunliffe, Archdeacon of Derby
Tony Kaunhoven, Acting Archdeacon of Chesterfield
The Diocese of Derby is a Church of England diocese in the Province of Canterbury, roughly covering the same area as the County of Derbyshire. Its diocesan bishop is the Bishop of Derby who has his seat at Derby Cathedral. The diocesan bishop is assisted by the suffragan bishop, the bishop of Repton.
The Diocese of Derby contains two archdeaconries: the Archdeaconry of Derby and the Archdeaconry of Chesterfield. The former archdeaconry is divided into the deaneries of Ashbourne, Derby North, Derby South, Duffield, Erewash, Heanor, Longford, Melbourne, and Repton, and the latter into the deaneries of Alfreton, Bakewell and Eyam, Bolsover and Staveley, Buxton, Chesterfield, Glossop, and Wirksworth.
The Archdeaconry of Derby was originally part of the Diocese of Lichfield, but was moved to form part of the Diocese of Southwell when that diocese was created in 1884. On 7 July 1927 the archdeaconries of Derby and Chesterfield became the Diocese of Derby.
The current diocesan bishop of Derby is Alastair Redfern. On 29 June 2016, Jan McFarlane was consecrated to the suffragan see of Repton. The provincial episcopal visitor (for parishes in this diocese – among twelve others in the western part of the Province of Canterbury – who reject the ministry of priests who are women, since 1994) is Jonathan Goodall, Bishop suffragan of Ebbsfleet, who is licensed as an honorary assistant bishop of the diocese in order to facilitate his work there.
There are four former bishops licensed as honorary assistant bishops in the diocese:
- 1991–present: Bob Beak, a former assistant bishop in Marsabit/Mount Kenya East (in the All Saints diocese of the Anglican Church of Kenya), retired back to England and lives in Ashover.
- 2008–present: retired former Bishop of Sheffield Jack Nicholls lives in Chapel-en-le-Frith and is also licensed in neighbouring Diocese of Manchester.
- 2012–present: Richard Inwood, retired Bishop suffragan of Bedford, lives in Chesterfield.
- 2012–present: Roger Jupp, a former Bishop of Popondetta, returned to parish ministry in England in 2005, and is now Vicar of St Laurence, Long Eaton and priest-in-charge of Holy Trinity, Ilkeston.
- Church of England Statistics 2002
- Youngs Local Administrative Units of England
- The London Gazette: . 1 July 1927. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- Diocese of Derby — The Bishop of Repton (Accessed 26 February 2016)
- Twitter — Adrian Harris (Accessed 29 June 2016)
- "Robert Michael Cawthorn Beak". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016. (subscription required)
- Nicholls, John. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Inwood, Richard Neil. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Roger Alan Jupp". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 18 June 2016. (subscription required)