Ogden's Cigarette card featuring Stanley Brogden
|Full name||Stanley Brogden|
15 March 1910|
Holbeck, Leeds, England
|Died||18 June 1981
|Position||Wing, Centre, Stand-off|
Stanley Brogden (15 March 1910 – 18 June 1981) birth registered in Holbeck, was an English rugby union and professional sprinter and rugby league footballer who played in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s, playing representative level rugby league (RL) for Great Britain, and England, and at club level for Bradford Northern (twice), Huddersfield, Leeds, Hull, Rochdale Hornets and Salford, as a wing, Centre, or stand-off/five-eighth, i.e. number 2 or 5, 3 or 4, or 6, and playing representative level rugby union (RU) for British Empire Forces, he died in Bradford.
Stan Brogden won caps for England (RL) while at Bradford in 1929 against Other Nationalities, while at Huddersfield in 1932 against Wales (2 matches), in 1933 against Other Nationalities, and Australia, while at Leeds in 1935 against France, and Wales, in 1936 against Wales (2 matches), and France, in 1938 against Wales, while at Hull in 1938 against Wales, in 1939 against France, in 1941 against Wales, in 1943 against Wales, and won caps for Great Britain (RL) while at Huddersfield in 1929–30 against Australia, in 1932 against Australia (3 matches), and New Zealand (3 matches), in 1933 against Australia (2 matches), while at Leeds in 1936 against Australia (3 matches), and New Zealand (2 matches), and in 1937 against Australia (2 matches).
In 1936, fellow tourist Arthur Atkinson counted Brogden's try in a tour match against New South Wales at Sydney as his most memorable moment in rugby to that date. He said
Thirty thousand spectators, 25 players, one referee and two touch-judges took that "dummy", so brilliantly was it made. Why, Woods, the wing-threequarter, actually dived over the line thinking that Brogden had passed the ball to him and that he had it safe for a try! But Brogden had kept the ball and he cut inside the last defender to put it down under the posts. Brogden in Australia was faster than any other player I had seen on a football field. He was so fast that sometimes I thought he would collapse.
Championship Final appearances
Challenge Cup Final appearances
Stan Brogden played right-centre, i.e. number 3, in Huddersfield's 21-17 victory over Warrington in the 1933 Challenge Cup Final during the 1932–33 season at Wembley Stadium, London on Saturday 6 May 1933.
Between 1929 and 1934, Brogden made 156 appearances for Huddersfield, scoring 90 tries. Brogden made his début for Leeds against Wakefield Trinity at Belle Vue, Wakefield on Friday 30 March 1934.
In 1929, Huddersfield paid Bradford Northern a fee of £1000 for Stan Brogden (based on increases in average earnings, this would be approximately £158,200 in 2013). In 1934, Leeds paid Huddersfield a then world record fee of £1200 for Stan Brogden (based on increases in average earnings, this would be approximately £206,800 in 2013).
- "Birth details at freebmd.org.uk". freebmd.org.uk. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- French, Ray (1989). 100 Great Rugby League Players [Page 35]. MacDonald Queen Anne Press. ISBN 0-356-17578-2
- "Statistics at hullfc.com". hullfc.com. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Statistics at espnscrum.com". espnscrum.com. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk". englandrl. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "With The R.L. Touring Team In Australia". Yorkshire Evening Post. 20 March 1936. p. 12.
- "History of Leeds Rugby League Club". britishrugbyleague.blogspot.co.uk. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Fartown At Wembley - "The Wembley Years" - 1933, 1935, 1953 And 1962" (PDF). huddersfieldrlheritage.co.uk. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Gronow, David (2008). 100 Greats: Huddersfield Rugby League Football Club. Stroud: Stadia. p. 20. ISBN 978-0-7524-4584-7.
- Dalby, Ken (1955). The Headingley Story – 1890–1955 – Volume One – Rugby. The Leeds Cricket, Football & Athletic Co. Ltd ASIN: B0018JNGVM
- "Measuring Worth – Relative Value of UK Pounds". Measuring Worth. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- England Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org
- Tickle follows Lydon's lead
- Bradford Bulls – The Millennium Masters – Backs
- Leeds Rhinos : News : ON THIS DAY 30 March
- Leeds Rhinos : News : ON THIS DAY 15 March
- Stats → PastPlayers → B at hullfc.com
- Statistics at hullfc.com
- Rugby League players and country sports events
- Photograph "Stanley Brogden" at rugbyleagueheritageproject.com
- Photograph "Bradford Northern 1927/28" at rugbyleagueheritageproject.com
- Photograph "Four Northern Greats" at rugbyleagueheritageproject.com
- Photograph "Rugby League v Rugby Union" at rugbyleagueheritageproject.com