|Founded||1912Houston, Texas, United Statesin|
Star Furniture, is an American home furnishing store headquartered in Houston, Texas that sells furniture, rugs, mattresses, draperies and accessories. Star Furniture is the oldest operating furniture store in Texas and celebrated its 100th year in business in 2012. Star Furniture is a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway.
Russian immigrant Boris Wolff bought a ¼ interest in the store in 1924, and by 1950, Star had six stores. Boris passed the company on to his two children Melvyn Wolff and Shirley Wolff Toomim. Melvyn Wolff became president of the company in 1962 and in 1997, the Wolff’s decided to sell the company to aid its growth. Melvyn Wolff retired, and Warren Buffett purchased the company, which is now a Berkshire Hathaway subsidiary. Wolff remained Chairman of the Board until his death in 2017; Shirley Toomim is Vice Chairman.
In 2014 Star Furniture is a family-run business which has nine stores – six in Houston and one each in San Antonio, Austin and Bryan; as well as two clearance stores located in Houston. Some of the brand names Star carries include Natuzzi, Thomasville, Kincaid, Bernhardt, Hooker and Serta.
Star Furniture has instituted the Red Apple Award, which provides a prize of classroom furniture to an outstanding teacher each year. The company also participates in the Season For Caring program and Habitat for Humanity.
- "Star Furniture Company". Inside View. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- Engel, Clint. "Star Furniture Celebrates 100 Years with $250,000 Giveaway". Furniture Today. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- "Furniture company marks centennial". Chron, By Melanie Warner April 20, 2012
- "Star Furniture chain CEO to retire". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- "Warren Buffet big hit in Fort Bend County". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- "Warren Buffett keeps mum on Nebraska Furniture Mart opening in The Colony". Dallas News.
- Melvyn Wolff obituary. Houston Chronicle, 27 May 2017. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- Wollam, Allison. "Star Furniture Restructures Top Management". Houston Business Journal. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Greater Huntington Wall of Fame 2015 inductees announced". Herald-Dispatch.
- Bud Labitan (1 November 2012). Moats : The Competitive Advantages of Buffett and Munger Businesses. Lulu.com. pp. 296–. ISBN 978-1-105-41808-2.
- "Star Furniture Opens Store in New Houston Location". Clint Engel Furniture Today, June 1, 2011
- "KHOU honors Kahla MS teacher with Star Furniture Red Apple Award". Your Houston News -May 29, 2015
- "Star Furniture fills family's Round Rock apartment with new furniture". Austin American-Statesman-Dec 24, 2014
- "KPRC Habitat Home welcomes new family". Matt Aufdenspring, Jill Courtney, Click2Houston.com