|Directed by||Eldar Ryazanov|
|Written by||Emil Braginsky
|Music by||Andrei Petrov|
Old detective Nikolay Myachikov is being retired by his boss Fedyaev. The official version is that Myachikov solved no crimes during last two months. But the real reason is that Fedyaev's boss wants Myachikov's position to go to another man, Proskudin.
Engineer Valentin Vorobyov, another retired old man and Myachikov's best friend, suggests to Myachikov that they set up the biggest crime ever and then solve it together to stay at work.
The first idea is to steal Rembrandt's picture from a museum. The plan fails as no one notices that the great canvas is stolen. Myachikov and Vorobyov have to sneak the picture back.
The next plan is to rob the Myachikov's neighbour, collector Anna Pavlovna and then to return the money, but do not catch the thief. When Myachikov gets the bag with cash, he meets the real robber. He takes all the money, and next morning the honest detective is obliged to invest his own money to "solve" the crime.
- Yuri Nikulin — Nikolay Myachikov
- Yevgeniy Yevstigneyev — Valentin Vorobyov
- Olga Aroseva — Anna Pavlovna
- Georgi Burkov — Fyodor Fedyaev
- Andrei Mironov — Yury Proskudin
- Valentina Vladimirova — Masha, Vorobyov's wife
- Yuri Belov — Petya
- Valentina Talyzina — Fedyaev's secretary
- Roman Filippov — the robber
- Nina Agapova — the museum keeper
- Irina Murzayeva — the museum keeper
- Lev Durov — the driver of the collector car
- Boris Runge — the shoes shop director
- Gotlib Roninson — the doctor
- Yuri Smirnov — the locksmith
- Georgi Kulikov — Vorobyov's colleague
- Viktor Bajkov — Vorobyov's colleague
- Yevgeni Perov — Vorobyov's colleague
- Natalya Sajko — Vorobyov's colleague
- Boris Vladimirov — Vorobyov's colleague
- Aleksandr Shirvindt — the spokesman of the minister
- Eldar Ryazanov — the passer-by
- Yuri Yakovlev — the narrator (voice)
|This article related to Soviet film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This film article about a 1970s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|