SteamRanger is a historic train society in South Australia running trains on the Victor Harbor railway line. It is the only group regularly operating broad gauge steam locomotives in South Australia. It is run by volunteers of the South Australian Division of the Australian Railway Historical Society.
Prior to 1995 when the Adelaide to Melbourne line was converted to standard gauge, SteamRanger was based at Dry Creek, an industrial suburb in the northern suburbs of Adelaide, and home to the main road-rail freight depots in Adelaide. The Southern Encounter operated from Adelaide instead of Mount Barker, including six tunnels through the Mount Lofty Ranges. Special services were also operated to other places on the South Australian broad gauge network including Burra (near the Clare Valley), Nuriootpa in the Barossa Valley and shorter services on the metropolitan network.
Some shorter services along the line are:
- The Bugle Ranger - from Mount Barker to Bugle Ranges using a Redhen railcar set. Services operate one Sunday each month from late April to October
- The Highlander - from Mount Barker to Strathalbyn using steam locomotives when possible. Operates on the second Sunday of each month from June until the end of November (excluding October).
- StrathLink - from Goolwa to Strathalbyn using a restored heritage Brill railcar. Operates during School Holiday periods.
Steam locomotives operated by SteamRanger:
- Rx 207 Dean Harvey - built in 1913
- Rx 224 - 1915 - not currently serviceable
- F251 - built in 1922 in Gawler (previously hauled suburban Adelaide trains)
- SAR 520 Sir Malcolm Barclay-Harvey - not currently serviceable
- SAR 621 The Duke of Edinburgh
- SAR diesel shunter 350
- SAR diesel shunter 507
- SAR mainline diesel 958
- Brill railcar 60 (also known as a Barwell Bull after the premier of South Australia at the time of their introduction, Henry Barwell). Brill 60 was completely rebuilt by volunteers from Brill trailer 207
- Redhen railcars 412, 428, 364 1968
- 2000 class railcars 2010, 2109
Owned by SteamRanger but not on premises:
- Pichi Richi Railway
- Rail transport in South Australia
- Railways in Adelaide
- Victor Harbor railway line