|Directed by||Mark Obenhaus|
|Written by||Mark Obenhaus|
Stefano De Benedetti
|Narrated by||Peter Krause|
|Music by||Victor Magro
|Distributed by||Sony Classics|
Steep is a 2007 documentary about extreme skiing written and directed by Mark Obenhaus. Steep explores the history of extreme and Big Mountain Skiing, starting with its roots in 1960s and 1970s North America and Europe, with Bill Briggs' now famous first descent of the Grand Teton, and progressing through to the current day sport.
Steep was shot in High Definition and on film in a number of locations including Alaska, France, Canada and Iceland. Steep made its premiere in the Spotlight Section of the 2007 Tribeca Film Festival. In North America, Steep was acquired by Sony Classics and released to DVD on 18 March 2008.
Cast and Crew
Written and directed by Mark Obenhaus, Steep is narrated by American actor Peter Krause as well as ski mountaineer and historian Louis Dawson. It includes interviews and narratives provided by, and footage of, well known ski personalities including Bill Briggs, Doug Coombs Lou Dawson and Glen Plake. It also notably stars Shane McConkey, Seth Morrison, Andrew McClean, Eric Pehota, Ingrid Backstrom, Stefano De Benedetti, Anselme Baud, Chris Davenport and Emily Coombs, amongst others.
"In a sense, between the two of them, we felt that we could almost see the whole sport evolving. That was the moment we thought, Ah-ha, this is the story we want to tell."
Steep received generally mixed reviews from critics. As of July 2010 review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 51% of 41 professional critics have given the film a positive review, the consensus was "Steep is a mixed bag of breathtaking mountain footage and yawn-inducing banter." 
New York Times reviewer Stephen Holden says of Steep:
"The movie... is an undeniably impressive visual spectacle".
John Anderson of Variety says:
"Steep has its moments. Some are exhilarating, others seemingly insane. But the movie also feels like a sermon... they’re sliding down hills on two sticks. It should be fun. So should Steep.", but praises the film's production with, "Production values are phenomenal."
- Steep at the Internet Movie Database
- Review of Steep The Guardian
- Steep The Documentary Group 'Steep' Project Page
- Mark Obenhaus Biography on 'The Documentary Group' website
- Steep (PG) Empire
- Steep New York Magazine
- Steep Washington Post
- Bill Briggs Biography. Beyond the Grand -- The life of America's Most Influential Ski Mountaineer Wildsnow.com
- Steep. Bottom Line: Spectacular photography bolsters this shallow ski movie The Hollywood Reporter
- Steep Steep on The Documentary Group website
- Steep Tribeca Film Festival Film Vault
- Sony Pictures Classics Acquires the Extreme Skiing Documentary, Steep MovieWeb
- SONY PICTURES CLASSICS ACQUIRES NORTH AMERICAN RIGHTS TO “STEEP” Sony Classics (PDF)
- Steep (2007) Acting Credits) The New York Times
- Steep: Backcountry Skiers Risking It All National Geographic Adventure
- Steep (2007) on Rotten Tomatoes
- Steep (2007) The New York Times
- Steep Variety