Steep Point is the westernmost point of the Australian mainland, located at Coordinates: . It is located within the Edel Land National Park (proposed) in the Shark Bay World Heritage site within the Gascoyne region of Western Australia.
Dirk Hartog Island is immediately north of Steep Point across the South Passage, the closest named point being Surf Point ( ).
Steep Point is also one of Australia's most renowned land-based fishing, with over 320 species of fish that have been caught off the point, mackerel, sailfish and trevally the most common. Serious fishers harness themselves into the cliff, then float their baits off the cliff using helium balloons and haul their catches up using special gaffs, though it is very common that a shark takes the fisher's catch before it can get up onto the cliff.
Also the cliff-lined coast that runs south is often referred to in terms of wrecks and survivors of wrecks, being called in one book the Castaway Coast.
Access to Steep Point is by four-wheel drive vehicle only through sand dunes. A permit is required and can be purchased at the rangers house in Edel Land National Park (proposed). Basic camping areas and facilities are also available.
- Author unknown (11 March 2017). "Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- Unknown author (2013). Edel Land including Steep Point. Denham, Western Australia, Australia: Western Australia - Department of Parks and Wildlife. p. 2.
- Williams, Sheree; Warren, Jillian; Western Australian Museum; Williams, Sheree; Warren, Jillian; Western Australian Maritime Museum (1994), The castaway coast : Port Gregory to Steep Point, W.A. Maritime Museum, retrieved 5 March 2012
- Western Australia. Transport. Coastal Management Branch (2000). In Australia - west coast, Western Australia, Shark Bay. Transport, [Fremantle, W.A.] Scale 1:30 000 and 1:50 000 transverse Mercator proj. (E 113°08'36"--E 113°37'48"/S 25°53'00"--S 26°11'30") (1) Steep Point to Bellefin Flats. Scale 1:30 000 (2) Bellefin Flats to Denham. Scale 1:50 000. Insets: Denham. Scale 1:15 000 (30) Monkey Mia. Scale 1:50 000
- Williams, Sheree; Warren, Jillian; Western Australian Museum; Williams, Sheree; Warren, Jillian; Western Australian Maritime Museum (1994), The castaway coast : Port Gregory to Steep Point, W.A. Maritime Museum, retrieved 29 December 2014
- "Australian tsunami database reveals threat to continent". Space Daily. Space Media Network. 2 May 2014. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
|This article about a location in Western Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|