Eins grew up in Vienna and Gresten, Austria. Eins graduated from the University of Vienna with a degree in Theology (1965) and he attended the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna from 1964–1967. He settled in New York City in 1967.
He is the founder of Fashion Moda as a cultural concept. An important manifestation of Fashion Moda was the Museum of Science, Art, Invention, Technology and Fantasy (1978–1993) in the Bronx. It quickly became a strong voice in the New York art world in the late 1970s and 1980s. Fashion Moda also pioneered in the featuring of Graffiti art and showed artists such as Jenny Holzer and Keith Haring among others early on. It was a Multicultural project of the hip-hop culture of artists, writers, rappers, and break dancers.
While continuing activities with Fashion Moda, Eins also pursued his own talents having shows in the National Gallery in Vienna (1991), MoMA PS1 in New York (2007), the notable Now Gallery and other museums and galleries in US, Europe and Asia.
Eins does not distinguish between creating art and doing scientific research.
- National Endowment for the Arts, 1980, 1987
- New York Foundation for the Arts 2002
- Adolph and Esther Gottlieb Foundation 2004
- 2014 'OTHER DIMENSION', Installation, [New Museum], New York City
- 2013 'NO WAR', in collaboration with Leonardo da Vinci and Peter Paul Rubens, ARTFORUM Magazine
- 2009 'Looking at Music', Museum of Modern Art, New York City
- 2009 'The Picture Generation', Metropolitan Museum, New York City
- 2009 X-TREME Exterior, New York City, Istanbul, Gresten
- 2008 Centre National d'art Contemporain de Grenoble, Grenoble
- 2007 Museum of Modern Art, PS.1, New York City
- 2007 National Kyrgyz Fine Arts Museum, Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic, Central Asia
- 2006 'The Downtown Show', Grey Art Gallery, New York City
- 2006 Modernist, Büyükada Island, Istanbul
- 2002 Galerie Ariadne Vienna, Austria
- 2002 O.K. Centrum für Gegenwartskunst, Linz, Austria
- 2001 MUSA – Museum auf Abruf, Vienna, Austria
- 1991 Austrian National Gallery, Vienna, Austria
- 1985 Now Gallery, New York City, US
- 1980 Lisson Gallery, London, UK
- Eloquent Corrosion – Recent Works by Stefan Eins, Art in America, July 2000 by David Ebony
- In a Conspiracy of Paint Blotches and Shadows, Meaning and Art, New York Times, https://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/arts/27urbanart.html