|Studio album by Ithaka|
|Released||27 October 1997|
|Recorded||1997, Valentim de Carvalho studios in Paço de Arcos, Portugal|
|Genre||hip hop, Alternative hip hop, Experimental hip hop, Trip hop, Spoken word, Trip hop, Surf music, Drum and bass, Electronic music, Rock music|
|Label||Valentim de Carvalho, NorteSul, Sweatlodge Records, BCB Records, EMI Records|
It was written and recorded in Lisbon, Portugal in 1997, (where Ithaka lived and worked between 1992 and 1998) and is based upon his own personal adventures in Western Europe. Lyrically the record covers many diverse topics such as Substance abuse, Big wave surfing, and Ghosts.
Although the album is the English language, it was nominated for four Blitz Premios (The Portuguese version of The Grammy Awards) and in 1997 received top honours in the respected Portuguese newspaper Jornal Público (Portugal) for "Best Song" Seabra Is Mad, "Best Video"(Seabra Is Mad), "Artist Of The Year" and "Album Of The Year".
Songs from this album later appeared on the hit 2007 Xbox 360 basketball game, "NBA 2K7" from the NBA 2K (series) and on the soundtrack for the American surfing movie "Second Thoughts", winner of the 2004 Surfer (magazine) Reader's Poll Award for "Best Video".
The album was produced by Joe Fossard and consists of seventeen tracks which feature many guests performers such as British guitarist and co-producer Ewan Butler, singer Marta Dias, rapper Ace (from Mind Da Gap), rapper X-Sista, singer Hi-Fi Jô, singer Mimi and others from Portugal and beyond.
Although Ithaka is an American citizen of Greek origins, because Stellafly was made in Portugal and utilized many Portuguese guest artists, it (and Ithaka's preceding album, Flowers And The Color Of Paint) is often included in the genre of music known as Hip hop Tuga along with artists such as General D, Boss AC etc.
The album's original cover image was created by Ithaka Darin Pappas himself; a photograph of a woman wearing a chicken wire swimsuit in front of the sculpture (also called Stellafly) from his body of artwork called, The Reincarnation Of A Surfboard.
- 1. The Bum With Blue Blood - 2:02
- 2. Substance-Free Exile - 2:44
- 3. The Plot (featuring Mimi) - 3:15
- 4. Eden By The Sea (featuring Jôsette) - 4:31
- 5. Ain't No Breeze - 2:36
- 6. Butterfly Of Wisdom - 3:35
- 7. Seabra Is Mad - 4:22
- 8. Stay Strong Little Brother (featuring Jôsette) - 4:12
- 9. Capricorn And Cancer (featuring X-Sista) - 4:07
- 10. King Tardy - 2:13
- 11. Sunny The Bunny (with the Red Beans) - 4:03
- 12. Sushi-Pack Subway (with the Red Beans) - 2:46
- 13. Alabama Cave Party (featuring Ace) - 7:57
- 14. The Rise And Fall Of A Fortune - 7:57
- 15. Spiritual Graveyard - 3:48
- 16. Ursula Of Ithaka (featuring Marta Dias) - 4:36
- 17. Stellafly - 8:33
Articles About (or Mentioning) the album, Stellafly
- 2008 Surfline [USA] "Saltwater Nomad" written by Steve Zeldin
- 2013 Jounal I [Portugal] - "Ithaka Is Also Mad" written by Beatriz Silva
- 2013 Rock/Pop Portuguesa - written by Katia Abreu
- "Stellafly by Ithaka CD, Aug-2000, Emi | eBay". ebay.ca. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Ithaka - Stellafly (CD, Album) at Discogs". discogs.com. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Rdioh". rdioh.com. Retrieved 18 August 2016.