Steller Secondary School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Steller Secondary School|
"Only the Educated are Free"
|2508 Blueberry Road|
|Type||Public alternative secondary|
|Colour(s)||Blue, Royal Blue, Green|
|Website||ASD Site Official Site|
Steller Secondary School is an alternative school located in Anchorage, Alaska. It is based on the philosophy of responsible freedom, personal initiative, and individualized education. The Anchorage School District established the school in 1974 as a response to a proposal by the Committee of Alternative Secondary Education. Steller was named after Georg Wilhelm Steller, a naturalist from Germany who traveled with Vitus Bering on an exploratory voyage to Alaska. The school was named after him because of his independence, love of knowledge, courage, and pioneering spirit.
Steller has had a number of students who are selected annually to participate in the ASAA Alaska All-State Band. In 2017, Steller students Sebastien Libbrecht, Kohiby Vierthaler, and Tatiana Rogers have been admitted to the music festival.
For the first nine years of its existence, Steller was located in the old North Star Elementary School building. After much political activity by Steller parents, the Alaska Legislature approved funds to remodel the school and add a new gym as well as a drama facility/auditorium. In 1992, the auditorium was rebuilt after a structural failure caused the roof to collapse, leaving nearly everything ruined except for the stage's curtains. The voters of Anchorage approved a school bond in 2003 to provide funding for the addition of a new science lab and relocation and renovation of the staff lounge, offices surrounding the gymnasium, and the special education office. This construction was completed in October 2004.
Steller does not participate in sports within the Anchorage School District, but its students are allowed to play sports for a high school (or middle school depending on grade level) of their choice. This opportunity is not afforded to students in traditional schools within the ASD.
Many students and staff at Steller participate in an intramural gym hockey league. These games are closely followed by many members of the Steller community and culminate in a series of playoffs in late February.
- Marty Beckerman, author, humorist, journalist, and features editor with Esquire magazine
- Mark Begich, former mayor of Anchorage, Alaska and junior US Senator from Alaska
- Mario Chalmers, basketball player (7-9th grades)
- Gretchen Guess, member of Alaska House of Representatives 2000–2002 and Alaska Senate 2002–2006, Anchorage School District School Board Chair, 2011–present 
- Lindsey Holmes, member of Alaska House of Representatives 2006–present (9th through 11th grades)
- Jewel, singer (9th & 10th grades)[better source needed]
- Trajan Langdon, basketball player
- Gretchen Guess' LinkedIn profile Retrieved 19 July 2011
- Steller website blog post Retrieved 19 July 2011