Making Reliefs on Glass
|Alma mater||Sarah Lawrence College|
New York University
Stephanie Bernheim is an American artist known mainly for her early Wall Reliefs, process paintings and Palmpics. She was a member of A.I.R. Gallery and founded the A.I.R. Fellowship Program in 1993. Bernheim lives and works in New York City.
Early life and education
Bernheim was born in New York, NY. She studied art and art history at Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY where received a B.A. degree and New York University, New York, NY, where she studied with Milton Resnick and Ad Reinhardt and received an M.A. degree.
In 1991, Stephanie Bernheim and Elizabeth Munro Smith organized, “Who Cares About Feminism?: Art and Politics in the Nineties” with participants: Eleanor Munro, moderator and panelists: Maren Hassinger, Joyce Kozloff, Grace Stanislaus and Barbara Zucker. In 2017, book published on Bernheim's work: Stephanie Bernheim: From Paint to Pixels with essay by Kara L. Rooney and short text by Richard Milazzo.
"Special Projects," at MoMA P.S.1., NYC (1981), "Houses for Hereafter," A.I.R. Gallery, NYC (1990), "Hinterglasmalerei," A.I.R. Gallery, NYC (1994), "Pine Plains Paintings," Tricia Collins Grand Salon, NYC (1997), "Palm Project," A.I.R. Gallery, Brooklyn, NY (2011) "Figures and Grounds: Approaches to Abstraction," The Arts Club of Chicago, Chicago, IL (2012), "Stephanie Bernheim: Pixels and Particulates," Hudson Hall, Hudson, NY (2018).
- The Art Museum at Princeton, Princeton, NJ
- The Cincinnati Museum, Book Collection, Cincinnati, OH
- Franklin Furnace, New York, NY
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY
- Milwaukee Museum of Art, Milwaukee, WI
- Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, CT
- Estee Lauder Corporation, New York, NY;
- Washington Country Museum of Fine Arts, Hagerstown, MD.
- Rooney, Kara L. (2017). Stephanie Bernheim: From Paint to Pixels. New York, London, Brussels: FoliArt. ISBN 9780578190549.
- "Special Projects (Spring 1981)". MoMA. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Ruzicka, Joseph. "Stephanie Bernheim at A.I.R. Gallery". Art in America (September, 1991).
- Upshaw, Reagan. "Stephanie Bernheim at A.I.R. Gallery". Art in America (October, 1994).
- Rubinstein, Raphael. "From End to Beginning". Exhibition Catalog (1994).
- Mumford, Steve. "Pine Plains Paintings". The Country and Abroad (April, 1997).
- Bernheim, Stephanie (May 2011). "JPM". ArtForum International. 49 (9): 118.
- Rorimer, Anne (2012). "Figures and Grounds: Approaches to Abstraction". Exhibition Catalog.
- Isaacs, John. "Hudson Art and About". imby. Retrieved April 22, 2018.
- Potter, Elizabeth B. ""New York: Stephanie Bernheim's Pixels and Particulates, Hudson Hall"". The Country and Abroad. 22 (April/May, 2018).