|Occupation||Stage Director, Associate Director of Gingold Theatrical Group|
Stephen Brown-Fried is an American Stage Director. He is primarily known for his work on New York and regional stages. He currently serves as the chair of the New School of Drama's Directing program. Additionally, he is a lecturer at the Yale School of Drama. He is the Associate Director at the Off-Broadway Non-Profit Gingold Theatrical Group.
Brown-Fried has directed in regional theatres and New York's Off-Broadway Theatres. With the Public Theater and the National Asian American Theatre Company, Brown-Fried directed a production of Awake and Sing!, which received widespread critical acclaim and was nominated for a Drama League Award for Best Revival.
With the Trinity Shakespeare Festival, Brown Fried has directed multiple pieces, including A Midsummer Night's Dream which broke box office records for the festival. Brown-Fried's other work with the Trinity Shakespeare Festival includes Much Ado About Nothing, Macbeth, Julius Caesar, and The Merchant of Venice, which was named one of the top Regional Theatre productions by D Magazine, Theater Jones, Fort Worth Star-Telegram and Criticalrant.com.
Brown-Fried is currently the Associate Director at the Off-Broadway Non-Profit, Gingold Theatrical Group. Here, he oversees the two New Work Development Programs, Press Cuttings and Speakers' Corner, along with Gingold Theatrical Group Artistic Director David Staller.
He received the Drama League Director's Fellowship and the Jacob Javitz Fellowship.
As an educator, Brown-Fried currently serves as the head of the New School's Directing Program, in New York City.
Additionally, he is a lecturer for the Yale School of Drama.
At New York University's Tisch School for the Arts, he was a guest director.
- "Stephen Brown-Fried - drama.yale.edu". drama.yale.edu.
- "Barrett Brown, Stephen Fried". The New York Times. 20 October 2013.
- BWW News Desk. "SHE LOVES ME, HAMILTON, THE CRUCIBLE & More Earn 2016 Drama League Nominations; Check Out the Full List!".
- Suskin, Steven (20 July 2015). "Aisle View: Odets Sings Out".
- "Trinity Shakespeare Festival 2017 Season - Department of Theatre". finearts.tcu.edu.
- BWW News Desk. "Northern Stage Announces 2016-2017 20th Anniversary Season".
- "Stephen Brown-Fried | Gingold Theatrical Group". gingoldgroup.org. Retrieved 2017-08-26.
- BWW News Desk. "Gingold Theatrical GroupTo Present Developmental Workshop of David Cote's OTHERLAND".
- "Stephen Brown-Fried". www.newschool.edu.