He graduated in Engineering from St. John's College, Cambridge and then studied at the Royal Northern College of Music, under Patrick McGuigan. He was a finalist in Operalia, (Plácido Domingo's international singing competition), and among other numerous awards he won the 1990 Kathleen Ferrier Memorial Scholarship. He has performed the title role in Macbeth at the Glyndebourne Festival, and Conte Almaviva in Le nozze di Figaro for the Salzburger Festspiele. He is married to soprano Claire Rutter.
- Mozart: Messe C-dur KV 317 »Krönungsmesse«; Exsultate, jubilate KV 165; Vesperae solennes de confessore -The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock (conductor). ARCHIV Produktion.
- Vaughan Williams: Hodie; Fantasia on Christmas Carols -Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Guildford Choral Society, Hilary Davan Wetton (conductor). Naxos 8.570439.
- Hamish MacCunn: Land of the Mountain & the Flood; The Lay of the Last Minstrel -BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Martyn Brabbins (conductor). Hyperion CDA66815.
- [Rutter & Gadd: Family Album] -BBC Concert Orchestra, Richard Balcombe (conductor). Spinto001.
- Paul Hindemith: Cardillac -Paris National Opera Orchestra, Kent Nagano (conductor). Bel Air Classiques (DVD) No.23.
- Gustav Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde -Bamberger Symphoniker, Jonathan Nott (conductor). Tudor 7202.
- Programme book for Opéra-Comique production of Clara, 1998-1999 season, cast-list, page 9.
- Cummings, David (ed), International Who's who in Music and Musicians' Directory: Classical and Light Classical Music, Routledge, 2000, p. 217. ISBN 0-948875-53-4
- Kathleen Ferrier Award Winners
- Norris, Geoffrey, "Ticciati: music that bristles" (review of Claire Rutter and Stephen Gadd joint recital at the Queen Elizabeth Hall), The Daily Telegraph, April 30, 2008. Accessed 10 January 2009.
- Hall, George, "Macbeth" (review of Stephen Gadd in Glyndebourne's production), The Stage, October 15, 2007. Accessed 10 January 2009.
|This article about a British opera singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|