|Born||July 14, 1946|
Biography and Education
Stephen Leeb is a financial author, wealth manager, and publisher of a family of investment newsletters. He is a recurring guest on CNN, FoxNews, NPR and Bloomberg TV, and has been called “one of the country's foremost financial experts.”
Leeb earned a B.S. in Economics from the Wharton School of Business, and a Masters in Mathematics and a Ph.D in Psychology from the University of Illinois. He authored research papers on psychology and statistics in the peer-reviewed journal Psychological Reports. His graduate degrees were obtained in three years.
Stephen Leeb is married and lives in New York City, New York.
Leeb has written eight books on macroeconomic trends, finance and investment, including the New York Times business bestseller The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel. Leeb's earlier book Defying the Market, which predicted the dot.com bubble's collapse, was named one of the best business books of 1999 by the Library Journal. His most recent book, titled Red Alert, has been called “a much needed shot in the arm for American complacency” by Publishers Weekly. Red Alert was awarded the 2012 Axiom Business Book Awards silver medal in the International Business/Globalization category.
Leeb is Head of the Advisory Board of Leor Exploration & Production LLC (since 2006) and a member of the advisory boards of Electrum USA Ltd. (since 2007) and Sunshine Silver Mines. Both companies explore for natural resources, especially precious metals and energy. In 2007 Leor sold assets to Canadian-based Encana Cp. for over $2.5 billion. He is also a member of the board and managing director of the PlainSight Group, an innovation company centered at Yale University.
Leeb currently heads the Leeb Group, a publisher of investment newsletters and services including The Complete Investor (general investing); Leeb’s Real World Investing (commodities); and The Cash Cow (exchange-traded funds or ETFs). The Complete Investor was named the best financial/investing newsletter by the Software and Information Industry Association in the 2013 SIPAwards Competition.
Leeb accurately predicted $100-a-barrel oil, the Dow’s secular rise above 4000, the collapse of the dot.com bubble, and the current bull market in precious and industrial metals. In Defying the Market, published in 1999, he also predicted the inadequacy of computers for solving the major challenges of the subsequent decade, in particular resource scarcity.
In The Coming Economic Collapse, published in 2006, Leeb wrote that a decline in nominal home prices would be “the vicious circle to end all vicious circles……..It would be a far greater challenge than rescuing the economy in the wake of the tech bubble... It would take massive amounts of money. Interest rates would likely fall to zero. Government spending would need to reach unimaginably high levels.” Because of the potential consequences Leeb argued the Fed would prefer inflation rather than trying to cool an economy already stung by deflationary effects of high oil. In his subsequent book Red Alert, Leeb acknowledged he had been wrong to assume that the Federal Reserve "had the situation under control" and would "do whatever it took to assure that prices remained on an even keel."
Leeb's most recent book Red Alert argues that the Chinese understand the issue of resource scarcity much better than the West and as a result of their accumulation of vital resources may leave the West in a nearly untenable position within the next decade.
Leeb is bullish on the price of gold. On King World News, he stated that "China, as I’ve repeatedly outlined, loves gold, is accumulating gold, and is proceeding with long-term initiatives, including a new monetary system, that will elevate gold in furtherance of China’s own interests".
- Red Alert: How China's Growing Prosperity Threatens the American Way of Life, with Gregory Dorsey (2011)
- Game Over: How You Can Prosper in a Shattered Economy (2009)
- The Coming Economic Collapse: How You Can Thrive When Oil Costs $200 a Barrel, with Glen Strathy (2006)
- The Oil Factor: Protect Yourself and Profit from the Coming Energy Crisis , with Donna Leeb (2004)
- Defying the Market: Profiting in the Turbulent Post-Technology Market Boom, with Donna Leeb (1999)
- The Agile Investor: Profiting from the End of Buy and Hold, with Roger S. Conrad (1997)
- Market Timing for the Nineties: The Five Key Signals for When to Buy, Hold and Sell, with Roger S. Conrad (1993)
- Getting in on the Ground Floor, with Donna Leeb (1986)
- "Investors Observer". Investors Observer. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- "Empirical Application of a Cognitive Framework to Rigidity, Aspects of Creativity, Anxiety, and Adjustment". Ammons Scientific.
- "Unreliability of Difference Scores: A Clarification of the Issues". Ammons Scientific.
- New York Times, 2007
- "Dr. Stephen Leeb". King World News.
- The Oil Factor. Google Books.
- "Nonfiction Review: Red Alert: How China's Growing Prosperity Threatens the American Way of Life by Stephen Leeb with Gregory Dorsey. Grand Central/Business Plus, $27.99 (272p) ISBN 978-0-446-57623-9". Publishersweekly.com. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- "THE Voice of the Independent Publishing Industry". Independent Publisher. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- "Dr. Stephen Leeb". Leeb Capital Management. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- "EnCana buys rest of Leor's Texas stake". Canada.com. Nov 5, 2007. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- "Winners Named in the 2013 SIPAwards Competition". 2013-06-11. Retrieved 2013-07-13.
- The Oil Factor: Protect Yourself and Profit from the Coming Energy Crisis, by Stephen Leeb and Donna Leeb. Copyright 2004.
- Getting in on the Ground Floor, by Stephen Leeb, copyright 1986.
- Defying the Market, by Stephen Leeb and Donna Leeb, copyright 1999.
- The Coming Economic Collapse, by Stephen Leeb and Glen Strathy, copyright 2006.
- The Coming Economic Collapse, by Stephen Leeb with Gregory Dorsey, copyright 2011.
- Red Alert, by Stephen Leeb and Gregory Dorsey, copyright 2011.
- "This Is Why China Plans To Send The Price Of Gold Skyrocketing". June 12, 2017.
- Stephen Leeb official website