Steve & Karen's Breakfast Show
|Running time||240 minutes|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Home station||Metro Radio
|Hosted by||Steve Furnell
|Produced by||Dan Black|
|Recording studio||Newcastle upon Tyne|
|Original release||1 June 1999 – present|
The radio breakfast show began on Tuesday 1 June 1999 when Steve Furnell launched regional radio station Galaxy North East. Karen Wight become his co-presenter in January 2001 after a year as senior broadcast journalist with the station.
Galaxy was rebranded as Capital North East on 3 January 2011 as part of a merger of Global Radio's Galaxy and Hit Music networks to form the nine-station Capital radio network. Furnell and Wight were retained at the relaunched station.
On 14 July 2011, Metro Radio breakfast presenter Tony Horne left, prior to his contract ending. Furnell and Wight were announced as his replacements two months later, remaining at Capital until 23 December 2011. The Steve & Karen Breakfast Show aired on Metro for the first time on 6 June 2012 after 5 months of being off-air due to a clause in the contracts issued by their previous employers, Global Radio.
Awards and nominations
|2013||Breakfast Show of the Year (under 2 Million TSA)||Steve & Karen's Breakfast Show||Gold|
|2013||Presenter of the Year (under 2 Million TSA)||Steve Furnell & Karen Wight||Gold|
|2014||Presenter of the Year (under 2 Million TSA)||Steve Furnell & Karen Wight||Gold|
|2015||Presenter of the Year (under 2 Million TSA)||Steve Furnell & Karen Wight||Silver|
|2013||Breakfast Show of the Year (under 10 million)||Steve & Karen's Breakfast Show||Silver|
The show currently uses the following features in its broadcasts:
- Morning Glory - Answer a question correctly and win the 'Morning Glory'.
- Scrambled Songs - Steve or Karen sing lyrics from one artist over music by another and the caller has to guess the two artists.
- Baby Jukebox Generator - A song from the year a caller's child was conceived is played.
- Tombola of Doom - Two contestants compete in answering some random questions in a certain amount of time. The player with the most points wins an 'I took on the Tombola of Doom and won' t-shirt.
- Hummer Bummer - Steve or Karen hum a song and a caller must answer correctly.
- Missing Link - Karen gives a caller two things for them to guess the link.
- Breaking into…Working with Words Newcastle University, 11 March 2009
- Global Radio takes Capital national, Brand Republic, 13 September 2010
- Local Capital line-ups revealed, RadioToday, 16 November 2010
- Tony Horne exits Metro Radio breakfast, RadioToday, 14 July 2011
- Capital breakfast team join Metro, Radio Today, 25 September 2011
- New Breakfast Duo For Metro, Bauer Radio, 26 April 2012
- Presenters Steve Furnell and Karen Wight join Metro Radio, The Drum, 6 June 2012
- Steve and Karen start on Metro Radio, Radio Today, 6 June 2012
- Backlash from listeners as Bauer moves TFM out of Teesside Prolific North, 8 April 2013