Virgin Radio UK
|Broadcast area||United Kingdom|
|Slogan||The Best Music All Day|
|Frequency||DAB: 11A, 11C (NE Scotland), 12A (SW Wales)|
|First air date||30 March 2016|
|Format||Hot Adult Contemporary|
Virgin Radio UK is a national Hot AC radio station in the United Kingdom that launched on 30 March 2016, owned by Wireless Group. It is the second incarnation of Virgin Radio in the UK: the original station launched in 1993 before being rebranded as Absolute Radio in 2008.
Virgin Radio UK (as well as its Italian sister station) does not follow the CHR format that characterises the Virgin Radio network globally.
The station was launched at 11:00 on 30 March 2016 on a Virgin train by Edith Bowman and Matt Richardson and the first song played was a live cover version of David Bowie's song "Changes" by Gavin James.
Virgin Radio UK broadcast at launch to about 75% of the UK population via the Sound Digital DAB ensemble, and also broadcasts via online streaming to computers, mobile device applications and internet radios. It cannot be received outside of the UK.
The broadcasts are presented live from 04:00 to 01:00, and then music is played back-to-back overnight with pre-recorded announcements from rotating presenters from the day.
Virgin Radio UK launched two new digital spin-offs station Virgin Radio Anthems and Virgin Radio Chilled on 21 December 2018. Virgin Radio Anthems will play guitar-based classics from the 80s and 90s. Virgin Radio Chilled features acoustic singer-songwriters and is designed to unwind and relax. Both stations broadcast The Chris Evans Breakfast Show.
On 7 January 2019 Virgin Radio joined the Sky and Freesat satellite platforms.
- "18 radio stations confirmed for new DAB multiplex". Radio Today. 3 February 2016. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Savage, Mark (3 September 2018). "Chris Evans to leave Radio 2 breakfast". BBC News. BBC. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- Chris Evans launches new Virgin Radio breakfast show
- Staff, UK (21 December 2018). "Virgin Radio UK launches two new digital spin-offs". Radio Today. Radio Today. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- Virgin Radio added to Freesat and Sky platforms Radio Today UK. January 8, 2019. Retrieved January 29, 2019
|This article about a radio station in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|