|Irish name||Stiofán Mathúin|
6 December 1957 |
Kilbeacanty, County Galway, Ireland
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|*Inter County team apps and scores correct as of 21:58, 3 February 2013.|
Born in Kilbeacanty, County Galway, Mahon first played competitive hurling whilst at Ballyturn National School. He made his first impression on the inter-county scene when he joined the Galway under-21 team. He made his senior debut during the 1978-79 National Hurling League. Mahon went on to play a key role for Galway for almost a decade, and won two All-Ireland medals on the field of play and one National Hurling League medal. He was an All-Ireland runner-up on four occasions.
As a member of the Connacht inter-provincial team at various times throughout his career, Mahon won five Railway Cup medals. At club level he is a one-time intermediate championship medallist with Kilbeacanty.
Throughout his career Mahon made 22 championship appearances for Galway. His retirement came following the conclusion of the 1988 championship.
- Galway Intermediate Hurling Championship (1): 1978
- Galway Junior C Hurling Championship (1): 1997
- All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (2): 1980, 1987
- National Hurling League (2): 1986-87
- All-Ireland Under-21 Hurling Championship (1): 1978
- Railway Cup (4): 1980, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1987
- All-Star (2): 1981, 1987