|Born||August 14, 1953|
Ann Arbor, Michigan
|Residence||Princeton, NJ, US|
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Occupation||Founder and Board Member of NFTE|
|Known for||Founder of Network For Teaching Entrepreneurship and author of entrepreneurship education textbooks.|
Steve Mariotti is the founder of Network For Teaching Entrepreneurship (NFTE), a social entrepreneur and educator. He previously worked in the private corporate sector before moving into youth education.
Mariotti was born in Ann Arbor in Michigan. After earning his bachelors in business economics and an M.B.A from the University of Michigan he moved to New York. He is known for his work in at-risk youth education through programs he has designed. He initially founded The South Bronx Entrepreneurial Education Program with limited success in 1987. Later that year he founded Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship, a nonprofit organization which gives at-risk youth from low-income backgrounds opportunities to receive entrepreneurial education while attending high school.
Mariotti is a 2012 inductee into the Entrepreneurship Hall of Fame. He is the recipient of numerous awards, including an Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award, the Bernard A. Goldhirsh Social Entrepreneur of the Year Award, the New York Enterprise Report's 2012 Founders Award for Social Entrepreneurship, the National Director’s Entrepreneurship Award from the Minority Business Development Agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce, the Association of Education Publishers’ Golden Lamp Award, the ACE/Currie Foundation Humanitarian Venture Award, the USASBE Entrepreneurship Educator of the Year, the CEO Club’s Social Entrepreneur of the Year, and America’s Top High School Business Teacher.
In 2013, he traveled to Southeast Asia as a guest of the US State Department on a mission to spread entrepreneurial education to youth from emerging economies in the region. His other accolades include:
- Featured subject of many national media profiles on programs including ABC Evening News and 20/20
- Authored and co-authored 34 books and workbooks on entrepreneurship, over 10 million of which have been sold and many more distributed for free around the world
- The Young Entrepreneur’s Guide to Starting and Running a Small Business is a standard used from China to the Middle East
- Regular attendee and speaker at The World Economic Forum
- Entrepreneurship: Starting and Operating a Small Business
- Entrepreneurship: Owning Your Future
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
- Entrepreneurship: Starting and Operating a New Business
- Attebery, Liz. Steve Mariotti, Educator & Entrepreneur. The Yale Center for Dyslexia & Creativity, Yale School of Medicine, 2008.
- Bruder, Jessica. A Youth Entrepreneurship Program Goes International . The New York Times, 2012.
- Estrin, Jim. Problem Youths Learn How to Succeed in Business. The New York Times, 1988, p. 1.
- Steve Mariotti entries