Steven G. Rogelberg, Ph.D. is Chancellor’s Professor at UNC Charlotte. He is a Professor of Organizational Science, Management, and Psychology and the Director of Organizational Science at UNC, Charlotte. He is editor of the Journal of Business and Psychology, a journal for Industrial Psychology/Organizational Behavior/Human Resource Management.
Rogelberg has over 100 publications addressing issues such as team effectiveness, leadership, engagement, health and employee well-being, meetings at work and organizational research methods. Dr. Rogelberg has received over $2,000,000 of external grant funding from the National Science Foundation. His research has been profiled on Public Television, Radio (e.g., NPR, CBC, CBS), Newspapers (e.g., Chicago Tribune, LA Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, London Guardian) and Magazines (e.g., National Geographic, Forbes, Scientific American Mind). He has been a visiting scholar and guest speaker at universities around the world including: BI Norwegian Business School (Norway), Peking University (China), University of Edinburgh (Scotland), Reykjavik University (Iceland), Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong City University, The University of Sheffield (England), The University of Zurich (Switzerland), The University of Tel Aviv (Israel), Technion University (Israel), Concordia University (Canada), the University of Mannheim (Germany) and Catholic University of Louvain (Belgium).
Steven has run three consulting centers, engaged with many Fortune 100 companies, and served on multiple advisory boards. He founded and currently directs two large outreach initiatives, spanning 8 universities, focusing on nonprofit organization effectiveness. Over 1,000 nonprofits have been served.
Rogelberg was born in New York City, but grew up in Los Angeles. He is married to Sandy Rogelberg, and has two children, Sasha and Gordon. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology from Tufts University in 1989, a Master’s and a PhD degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology from the University of Connecticut in 1991 and 1994, respectively. Since receiving his doctorate, Rogelberg has served as a professor at Bowling Green State University and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
- President Elect for the Society of Industrial Organizational Psychology (SIOP) in 2020
- Recipient of the First Citizens Bank Scholars Medal in 2019
- Recognized by the Washington Post as having written the "#1 Leadership Book to Watch for in 2019" - The Surprising Science of Meetings (Oxford)
- Recognized by Business Insider as writing a "Top 14 Business Book Everything will be Reading in 2019" - The Surprising Science of Meetings (Oxford)
- Inaugural winner of the Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP) Humanitarian Award
- Recipient of the 2017 Humboldt Prize, aka Humboldt Research Award
- Hooker Distinguished Visitor Award, McMaster University 2018
- Received the SIOP Distinguished Service Award
- Bowling Green State University Master Teacher Award
- Psi Chi Professor of the Year Award
- Listed by Medium.com, the 80 #IOPsych Pros to follow on Twitter
- Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology Distinguished Service Contributions Award
Rogelberg is the author of over 100 publications.
- Rogelberg, S.G. (2019). The Surprising Science of Meetings: How You Can Lead your Team to Peak Performance. Oxford University Press.
- Allen, J. A., Lehmann-Willenbrock, N., & Rogelberg, S. G. (Eds). (2015) ). The Cambridge Handbook of Meeting Science. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press
- Rogelberg, S. G. (2nd Ed.) (2016). The Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Volume 1, 2, 3, and 4. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publishing.
- Rogelberg, S. G. (Ed). (2002, 2004). Handbook of Research Methods in Industrial and Organizational Psychology. London: Blackwell.
Some examples of journal publications include:
- Grand, J.A., Rogelberg, S.G., Banks, G.C., Landis, R.S., & Tonidandel, S. (in press). From outcome to process focus: Fostering a more robust psychological science through registered reports and results-blind reviewing. Perspectives on Psychological Science
- Allen, J. A., Lehmann-Willenbrock, N., & Rogelberg, S. G. (in press). Let’s Get This Meeting Started: Meeting Lateness and Actual Meeting Outcomes. Journal of Organizational Behavior.
- Rogelberg, S. G., Justice, L., Braddy, P. W., Paustian-Underdahl, S. C., Heggestad, E., Shanock, L., Baran, B. E., Beck, T., Long, S., Andrew, A., Altman, D.G., Fleenor, J.W. (2013). The Executive Mind: Leader Self-Talk, Effectiveness, and Strain. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 28(2), 5-5
- Rogelberg, S. G., Allen, J. A., Shanock, L., Scott, C. W., Shuffler, M. (2010). Employee satisfaction with their meetings: A unique predictor of job satisfaction. Human Resource Management, 49(2), 149-172.
- Rogelberg, S. G., Reeve, C. L., Spitzmüller, C., DiGiacomo, N., Clark, O., Teeter, A. G., Walker, A., Starling, P. G., & Carter, N. T. (2007). Animal shelter worker turnover: The impact of euthanasia rates, euthanasia practices, and human resource practices. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 230, 713-719.
- Rogelberg, S.G., Scott, C.S., & Kello, J. (2007). The Science and Fiction of Meetings. MIT Sloan Management Review, 48, 18-21.
- Rogelberg, S. G. & Stanton, J. M. (2007). Understanding and dealing with organizational survey nonresponse. Organizational Research Methods, 10, 195-209.
- Rogelberg, S. G., Leach, D.J., Warr, P.B., & Burnfield, J.L. (2006). “Not another meeting!” Are meeting time demands related to employee well-being? Journal of Applied Psychology, 1, 86-96.
- Tamara Johnson (2013-09-04). "Rogelberg appointed first University Professor". Inside UNC Charlotte. UNC Charlotte. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Journal of Business and Psychology - incl. option to publish open access". Springer.com. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Analysis | 10 leadership books to watch for in 2019". Washington Post.
- Howe, Jenn (3 April 2019). "Organizational science researcher receives First Citizens Bank Scholars Medal". Inside UNC Charlotte. Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- "Curriculum Vitae : STEVEN G. ROGELBERG" (PDF). Clas-pages.uncc.edu. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- Personal Website
- "Steven Rogelberg, PhD. | Home". Clas-pages.uncc.edu. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Steven Rogelberg | Organizational Science | UNC Charlotte". Orgscience.uncc.edu. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Volunteer Program Assessment | Home". Vpa.uncc.edu. Retrieved 2017-05-03.
- "Shelter Employee Engagement & Development Survey | About Our Service". Seeds.uncc.edu. Retrieved 2017-05-03.