Stewart Angus MacFarlane
Adelaide, South Australia
|Education||Victorian College of the Arts, South Australian School of Arts, School of Visual Arts in New York City, Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture|
|Known for||Painting, Printmaking,|
Stewart Angus MacFarlane (born November 1953, Adelaide, South Australia), is a figurative Australian painter. His style is a pared-down realism (with expressionistic touches) combined with a surreality of lighting and perspective. He often, though not always, places a female or male nude in a situation of erotic enigma. He paints the Australian scene representative of Western society as a whole.
When aged 16 he enrolled at the South Australian School of Art, where he was influenced by the Adelaide painters, David Dridan and David Dallwitz. He gained a Diploma of Fine Arts (Painting) in 1974. The next year he travelled to America where he had group and solo exhibitions, as well as pursuing his other love, music. In 1977 he graduated with a Bachelor in Fine Arts (Painting) from the School of Visual Arts, New York City. He was a studio assistant of Janet Fish. Since returning to Australia in 1983, MacFarlane has earned his living as a professional painter, exhibiting several times a year, either in Australia or internationally.
MacFarlane is also a musician. His band, "Stew Lane and The Untouchables", performed and recorded in New York City from 1979 to 1981. The Album, Harder Than Wax was released by AZ International, France, in 1980. The band's independent release, "U.N.Rap Song" (Private Ear Records, 1980) was acknowledged by Freddy Fresh as one of the earliest rap records and one of the first examples of a group, outside the hip-hop genre, to incorporate rap into their music.
- "The Big Picture", Wei-Ling Gallery, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2013
- "Second Sight", Australian Galleries, Sydney, Australia, 2013
- "Ordinary Beauty", Adelaide Central School of Art Gallery, August 2012
- "Mainland", Australian Galleries, Melbourne, October 2011
- "Inheritance", Wei-Ling Gallery, Kuala Lumpur, May 2011
- Michael Reid, Sydney, September 2010
- Fletcher Jones Art Prize 2010, Geelong Gallery, Geelong, July–September 2010
- The Shilo Project, University of Melbourne, November 2009 – March 2010.
- Master Landscapes of the Mornington Peninsula, Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery, December 2009 – March 2010
- Philip Bacon Galleries, Brisbane, March 2009
- Charles Nodrum Gallery, Melbourne, November–December 2008
- Roswell Museum and Art Center, New Mexico, USA, February–March 2008
- Wei-Ling Gallery, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, September–October 2006
- Dridan Fine Arts, Adelaide, September 2005
- Bett Gallery, Hobart, March–April 2005
- Imaging the Apple, University of Ballarat, February 2004 – August 2005
- Galerie Carlos Hulsch Berlin, Germany, October–November 2003
- Helmridge-Marsillian, Veronique, Stewart MacFarlane. Riddles of Life, Craftsman House, Sydney, 1996
- Jose, Nicholas & Morrell, Timothy, "Stewart MacFarlane, Paintings", Wei-Ling Gallery, Kuala Lumpur, 2012
- Aland, Jenny, Australian Artlook, Heinemann, Melbourne, 1997
- Drury, Nevill, Images 2, Contemporary Australian Painting, Craftsman House, Sydney, 1994
- Drury, Nevill, Images 3, Contemporary Australian Painting, Craftsman House, Sydney, 1998
- McCulloch, Alan, (rev. by Susan McCulloch), The Encyclopedia of Australian Art, Allen and Unwin, Sydney, 1994
- McCulloch, Alan, McCulloch, Susan, and McCulloch, Emily, The New McCulloch's Encyclopedia of Australian Art, Miegunyah Press, Melbourne, 2006
- Pickett, Charles, Cars and Culture. Our Driving Passions, HarperCollins and Powerhouse Publishing, Sydney, 1999
- Williams, Donald, and Simpson, Colin, Art Now. Contemporary Art Post-1970, McGraw-Hill, Sydney, 1994
- Adam, Rosemary, "Stewart MacFarlane: 'Roswell'", Art Monthly, September 1990
- Adam, Rosemary, "Stewart MacFarlane", Tension, March 1992
- Heathcote, Christopher, "Summer Famine", Art Monthly, March 1989
- Helmridge-Marsillian, Veronique, "Work and Sex. Three Paintings by Stewart MacFarlane", Art Monthly, July 1994
- Morrell, Timothy, "The Function", Artlines, Queensland Art Gallery Society, August–September 1997
- Katz, Vincent, Compulsion: Stewart MacFarlane, Brisbane City Gallery, 2001
- Leong, Roger, The Painted Self. Rick Amor, Peter Churcher, Kevin Lincoln, Stewart MacFarlane and Lewis Miller, Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery, 2006
- MacFarlane, Stewart, Door of Memories, Roswell Museum and Art Center, New Mexico, USA, 1987
- MacFarlane, Stewart, Screenplay, Galerie Carlos Hulsch Berlin, Germany, 2000
- MacFarlane, Stewart, and Helmridge-Marsillian, Veronique, Stewart MacFarlane. Small Observations. A Survey of Small Oil Paintings 1967–2005, Carnegie Gallery, Hobart, 2006
- Rufe, Laurie, and Fleming, Stephen, Beyond a Gift of Time. Current Work by Former Fellows of the Roswell Artist-in-Residence Program, Roswell Museum and Art Center, New Mexico, USA, 2008
- Smith, Jason, So You Wanna Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star, NGV Shell Collection, 2005
- Wei-Ling, Lim, Private Life. Stewart MacFarlane, Wei-Ling Gallery, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2006
- Nedelkopolous, Nicholas. Private View (2004, 49 mins, Mini Digital Video) Documentary on artist Stewart MacFarlane.
- Helmridge-Marsillian, Veronique, Stewart MacFarlane. Riddles of Life, Craftsman House, Sydney, 1996, pp.29–30.
- Helmridge-Marsillian, Veronique, "Work and Sex. Three Paintings by Stewart MacFarlane", Art Monthly, July 1994, p.4.
- Helmridge-Marsillian, Riddles of Life, p.158.
- MacFarlane, Stewart, and Helmridge-Marsillian, Veronique, Stewart MacFarlane. Small Observations. A Survey of Small Oil Paintings 1967–2005, Carnegie Gallery, Hobart, 2006, p.4.
- Freddy Fresh, The Rap Records, (First Edition) p.259.