Storm King Dam
|Storm King Dam|
|Location||9 km (5.6 mi) South-East of Stanthorpe, Queensland|
|Primary inflows||Quart Pot Creek|
|Primary outflows||Quart Pot Creek|
|Managing agency||Southern Downs Regional Council|
|Water volume||2,180 ML (77×106 cu ft)|
The dam takes its name from the Storm King Mining Company which was established by John Yaldwyn and James Ross, who built an earlier dam for mining purposes. The company, in turn, took its name from the sailing ship Storm King, on which they migrated to Australia, arriving 9 February 1872.
The present dam was first proposed in 1928 but was not built until 1954 by the Stanthorpe Shire Council. It had filled by February 1954. Following local government area amalgamations in 2008, the dam is currently operated by the Southern Downs Regional Council. It supplies water both to residents of Stanthorpe and to irrigators.
The dam has proved inadequate to meet the needs of the community it serves during drought periods. In 2007, Storm King Dam was carrying as little as two months supply. In August 2019, the dam was expected to be dry within weeks
The shire trucked dinking water to the town for the period January 2020 to March 2021 (approx). Following heavy rain on the eastern seaboard in mid-late March 2021, the dam filled and started to spill. 
Storm King Dam was created from Quart Pot Creek which is the only inflow and outflow of the dam.
Storm King Dam is available for recreational use, including fishing, water sports, bird watching and picnics. Fish in the dam include golden perch and murray cod. The lake attracts many water birds including pelicans. Barbeques and other picnic facilities are available. Boating is permitted on the lake, but motor boards require a permit.
- "Storm King Dam (entry 32613)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Granite Belt Water Planning". Southern Downs Regional Council. Retrieved 14 June 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "COUNCIL MEETINGS". The Brisbane Courier. 14 September 1928. p. 11. Retrieved 14 June 2015 – via National Library of Australia. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Dam is full". The Courier-Mail. Brisbane. 23 February 1954. p. 12. Retrieved 14 June 2015 – via National Library of Australia. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Weather News - Day zero approaches for Stanthorpe as locals face prospect of levy to cover cost of trucked-in water". www.weatherzone.com.au.
- "ABC News - Locals rejoice full dam at Stanthorpe".
- "Queensland Globe". State of Queensland. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "Storm King Dam". Queensland Government. Retrieved 14 June 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Media related to Storm King Dam at Wikimedia Commons