Cradley is a village and parish in Herefordshire, England. The nearest towns are Ledbury, 9 miles (14 km) to the south, and Bromyard, 9 miles (14 km) to the north west, in Herefordshire and Malvern, Worcestershire, 4 miles (6 km) to the south east on the other side of the Malvern Hills.
Cradley has a village shop/ post office, a butcher and a doctors' surgery.
Cradley parish, including Storridge, had a population in mid-2010 of 1,613.
Places of interest
St James Church. The chancel was added by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1868. Pevsner also mentions a mediaeval lychgate, a font dated 1722 and the remains of a previous carved font incorporated into a doorway in the tower. Carved stones in the fabric of the church have been identified as dating from the Saxon period.
Cradley Village Hall is a 16th Century timbered building, which was renovated and restored after a serious fire destroyed a large part of the roof. It has 21st Century additions of meeting rooms,Heritage and village resource centre. The heritage archives and local group are available for those researching local history or genealogy. The resource centre has up to date computer and printing and copying services for village use.
2011 saw Cradley as the centre of the "Three Villages Festival", along with neighbours Storridge and Mathon. This event celebrated Village life in rural Herefordshire and in 2011 the theme was "Masquerade", an exploration of mask making and wearing.
- "Mid-2010 Civil Parish SYOA population estimates for England and Wales" (XLS). Office for National Statistics.
- The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, Nikolaus Pevsner, 1963 p106 ISBN 0-14-071025-6
- "Cradley and Storridge Village Design Statement" (PDF). Herefordshire Council.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cradley, Herefordshire.|
- Cradley and Storridge village information
- Cradley Primary School
- Cradley - A Village History
- GENUKI for Cradley
- Cradley Village Hall
- Cradley Parish Council
- Cradley Mathon & Storridge annual festival( 3Villages Festival)
- Diary of events in Cradley,Mathon and Storridge
- St James the great Church Cradley
- Cradley Mathon and Storridge local mart and information on local businesses and groups
|This Herefordshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|