Stuart Palmer (physicist)
Stuart Palmer FREng, also known as S. B. Palmer, is the Honorary Secretary of the Institute of Physics, and was the Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the University of Warwick between 1999-2009. He is an emeritus professor of physics at Warwick who has worked in Condensed Matter Physics and Engineering Physics and has extensively exploited the technique of ultrasound.
Professor Palmer was born in Ilkeston, Derbyshire, studied at Sheffield University and spent 20 years at Hull University before moving to Warwick in 1987, where he was Head of the Physics Department for 12 years.
While working at the University of Hull he led a team applying ultrasound to the diagnosis and monitoring of osteoporosis. This led to an ultrasonic index for osteoporosis and the development of commercial ultrasound heel scanners that are available worldwide.
More recently he has developed techniques for the non-contact generation and detection of ultrasound based on both laser and electromagnetic techniques which have found a wide range of industrial applications.
In addition to his role as Honorary Secretary of the Institute of Physics, he Chairs the Board of the Institute of Physics Publishing and the TRAC Development Group of the Higher Education Funding Council for England. He is a Visiting Professor at Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia and is a member of Council of Cardiff University in the UK. He was secretary general of IUPAP from 2012 to 2014.
- "Council". Institute of Physics. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- Porter, R W; Palmer, S B; Langton, C M (1984). "The measurement of broadband ultrasonic attenuation in cancellous bone". ARCHIVE: Engineering in Medicine 1971-1988 (vols 1-17). 13 (2): 89–91. doi:10.1243/EMED_JOUR_1984_013_022_02. ISSN 0046-2039.
- Porter RW, Miller CG, Grainger D, Palmer SB (1990). "Prediction of hip fracture in elderly women: a prospective study.". BMJ. 301 (6753): 638–41. doi:10.1136/bmj.301.6753.638. PMC . PMID 2224217.
- Strelitzki, R.; Clarke, A. J.; Truscott, J. G.; Evans, J. A. (1996). "Ultrasonic measurement: An evaluation of three heel bone scanners compared with a bench-top system". Osteoporosis International. 6 (6): 471–479. doi:10.1007/BF01629580. ISSN 0937-941X.
- Scruby, C. B.; Dewhurst, R. J.; Hutchins, D. A.; Palmer, S. B. (1980). "Quantitative studies of thermally generated elastic waves in laser-irradiated metals". Journal of Applied Physics. 51 (12): 6210. doi:10.1063/1.327601. ISSN 0021-8979.
- Dewhurst, R. J. (1982). "Quantitative measurements of laser-generated acoustic waveforms". Journal of Applied Physics. 53 (6): 4064. doi:10.1063/1.331270. ISSN 0021-8979.
- Davies, S J; Edwards, C; Taylor, G S; Palmer, S B (1993). "Laser-generated ultrasound: its properties, mechanisms and multifarious applications". Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics. 26 (3): 329–348. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/26/3/001. ISSN 0022-3727.
- Baaklini, George Y.; Edwards, Christopher; Stratoudaki, Theodosia; Dixon, Stephen; Palmer, Stuart B.; Nove, Carol A.; Boltz, Eric S. (2000). "<title>Noncontact ultrasound studies of composite materials: new developments</title>". 3993: 268–275. doi:10.1117/12.385498. ISSN 0277-786X.
- Baruchel, J.; Aubert, G.; Palmer, S.B.; Schlenker, M. (1986). "Observation of ferro-helimagnetic phase coexistence in Tb crystals". Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 54-57: 1631–1632. doi:10.1016/0304-8853(86)90954-6. ISSN 0304-8853.
- "NEWS BULLETIN, July 2013" (PDF). IUPAP archive. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Executive Council: Officers Archive 2002-2014". IUPAP. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Train Named After University of Warwick Deputy Vice-Chancellor". University of Warwick. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
|This article about a British scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|