Stuart Polak, Baron Polak
The Lord Polak
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Stuart Polak was born in Liverpool, England. He attended the Childwall Hebrew Congregation, a synagogue in Liverpool, where he was a chazan, or cantor, on Jewish High Holidays. He took educational trips to Israel from the age of fifteen.
Polak joined the Conservative Friends of Israel in 1989. He served as its Director for twenty-six years, until August 2015; he now serves as its honorary president. He also serves as chairman of TWC Associates and as a senior consultant to Jardine Lloyd Thompson.
Polak was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) for political service in the 2015 New Year Honours. He was created a life peer taking the title Baron Polak, of Hertsmere in the County of Hertfordshire on 2 October 2015.
Resignation of Priti Patel
On 3 November 2017, the BBC's Diplomatic correspondent James Landale reported that Polak had accompanied Priti Patel, the Secretary of State for International Development when she had held a series of meetings in Israel in August 2017 without telling the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. They met Yair Lapid, the leader of Israel's centrist Yesh Atid party, and visited several organisations where official departmental business was discussed. Those meetings, and others later, led to Patel's resignation from the Cabinet on 8 November 2017.
- "Subscribe to read". Financial Times.
- Dysch, Marcus (August 27, 2015). "Conservative Friends of Israel director Stuart Polak receives peerage". The Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- "Who We Are". TWC Associates. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- "No. 61092". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2014. p. N10.
- "notice 2410914". The London Gazette.
- "Priti Patel quits over Israel meetings row". 8 November 2017 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
|This article about a British politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|