Suman Bery is an Indian economist, academic, and writer, who was the former director general of National Council of Applied Economic Research, former Indian country director of International Growth Centre, and current non-resident fellow at Brussels-based think tank devoted to policy research and economic issues, Bruegel. He was a member of the Raghuram Rajan Committee on Financial Sector Reforms, constituted in 2007 by the Government of India for proposing financial reforms in the country. During the tenure of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Bery was a member of the Economic Advisory Council.
Bery was educated at The Doon School in Dehradun, and then spent a year at Oakham School, UK. He then went to Magdalen College, University of Oxford, where he read philosophy, politics and economics, and later received a master's degree in public affairs from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University.
Bery started his career in 1972 in Washington, joining the World Bank through its young professionals program. He remained there for 28 years, and later became the lead economist. In 2001, he left to become the director general of National Council of Applied Economic Research in 2001. He regularly contributes columns to newspapers, journals, and magazines, including Forbes, Business Standard, Indian Express, and Economic and Political Weekly.
- Bery, Suman (co-author), India Policy Forum 2008 - 2009, SAGE Publishing, July 2009, ISBN 978-8132101499
- Bery, Suman (co-author), India Policy Forum 2010 - 2011, SAGE Publishing, July 2011, ISBN 978-8132107477
- Bery, Suman (co-author), Energizing India: Towards a Resilient and Equitable Energy System, SAGE Publishing, December 2016, ISBN 978-9385985232
- "The revived centrality of the G20 | Bruegel".
- "Suman Bery". IGC.
- "Suman Berry". The Center for Inclusive Growth.
- "Explained: The role and evolution of PM's Economic Advisory Council". September 27, 2019.
- Datta, Kanika (March 29, 2011). "Lunch with BS: Suman Bery" – via Business Standard.
- "Bery, Suman". SAGE India. March 22, 2020.
- "Bery, Suman K. | Oral History". oralhistory.worldbank.org.
- "Suman Bery".
- Hedrick-Wong, Yuwa. "The Economy In 2020: Insights From The Forbes Asia Panel Of Economic Commentators". Forbes.
- Bery, Suman (November 5, 2015). "Suman Bery: What drives the global economy?" – via Business Standard.
- "Can the G20 Decide the World's Future?". Economic and Political Weekly: 7–8. June 5, 2015 – via www.epw.in.
- "Corona lockdown has profound economic implications. Policy response should be coherent". March 24, 2020.