Supervision is an act or instance of directing, managing, or oversight.
The spelling is "Supervision" in Standard English of all English linguistic varieties, including North American English.
Supervision is the act or function of overseeing something or somebody.
A person who performs supervision is a "supervisor", but does not always have the formal title of supervisor. A person who is getting supervision is the "supervisee".
Generally, supervision contains elements of providing knowledge, helping to organize tasks, enhance motivation, and monitoring activity and results; the amount of each element is varying in different contexts.
Nature of supervision
In academia, supervision is aiding and guiding of a postgraduate research student, graduate student, or undergraduate student, in their research project; offering both moral support and scientific insight and guidance. The supervisor is often a senior scientist or scholar, and in some countries called doctoral advisor.
In business, supervision is overseeing the work of staff. The person performing supervision could lack a formal title or carry the title supervisor or manager, where the latter has wider authority.
In society, supervision could be performed by the state or corporate entities to monitor and control its citizens. Public entities often do supervision of different activities in the nation, such as bank supervision.
- New Oxford American English Dictionary. Oxford University Press. 2010. ISBN 9780195392883.
- supervizion.com. "Supervision or Supervizion". Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- 1944-, Remenyi, D., (2004). Research supervision for supervisors and their students. Money, Arthur H., 1941-. Kidmore End: Academic Conferences International. ISBN 0954709608. OCLC 55889551.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- Asgar, Jack (2008). Supervision - The Organizational Role of Supervisors: What Every Supervisor Needs to Know. Universal-Publishers. ISBN 9781599429694.
- Ladany, Nicholas; Bradley, Loretta J. (2011). Counselor Supervision. Routledge. ISBN 9781135966508.
- Gilliom, John; Monahan, Torin (2012). SuperVision: An Introduction to the Surveillance Society. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 9780226924458.