While functionality in such systems can often be broad – it commonly includes:
- Customer-requirement processing
- Purchase-order processing
- Sales and Distribution
- Inventory management
- Goods receipt and Warehouse management
- Supplier Management/Sourcing
A requirement of many SCMS often includes forecasting. Such tools often attempt to balance the disparity between supply and demand by improving business processes and using algorithms and consumption analysis to better plan future needs. SCMS also often includes integration technology that allows organizations to trade electronically with supply chain partners.
Also, tight integration with the Finance system is must for most of the companies who are into supply-chain management. Hence most of the software systems available today are integrated with the Finance - Accounts Payables, Accounts Receivables and General Ledger. This makes it easy to manage book keeping for the organisations with ease. A tightly integrated Purchasing & Sales process enables the organizations to handle their day to day activities with less effort.
SCMS adoption is growing faster than the broader enterprise application software market. The annual revenue from SCMS (both premises-based and SaaS) reached $10 billion in 2014, a 12 percent increase over 2013.
While premises-based software was still more widely used than SaaS solutions for SCMS in 2014, Gartner projects that about two-thirds of the growth in SCMS adoption between 2015 and 2018 will be based on the SaaS subscription model: driven by a growing realization of the benefits of cloud-based services, the SaaS-based SCMS market grew by about 24 percent in 2014 and is projected to continue to grow at a 19 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR), reaching $4.4 billion in annual sales by 2018.
- Developing Quality Complex Database Systems: Practices, Techniques, and Technologies By Shirley A. Becker
- Strategic Supply Chain Alignment: Best Practice in Supply Chain Management By John L. Gattorna
- "Gartner Says Supply Chain Management Software Revenue Is on Course to Reach $10 Billion in 2014". www.gartner.com. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- "Forecast: Public Cloud Services, Worldwide, 2012-2018, 2Q14 Update". www.gartner.com. Retrieved 2015-12-06.