Survey Sampling International
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Headquarters||Shelton, CT, USA|
Survey Sampling International (SSI) is a global provider of data solutions and technology for consumer and business-to-business survey research. SSI reaches participants in 90+ sample countries via Internet, telephone, mobile/wireless and mixed-access offerings. SSI staff operates from 40 offices and remote staff in 20 countries, offering sample, data collection, CATI, questionnaire design consultation, programming and hosting, online custom reporting and data processing. SSI's 4,000+ employees serve more than 3,000 clients worldwide.
SSI was founded in 1977 by Tom Danbury and Beverly Weiman, the first commercial market research sampling company. Danbury was the inventor of the concept of using a database to offer telephone sampling service for survey researchers as a product—until then, clerks had compiled samples by manually compiling them from over telephone books.
The firm has introduced many research products, including Random Digit Dial telephone samples with known business numbers removed (called Super Samples); a sample screening service which removes most non-working telephone numbers; "LITe" (low incidence targeted) samples; and the SSI-SNAP online ordering system.
In 2000, the firm launched SurveySpot, the company’s first online research panel in the US. Online panels were expanded to Canada, the United Kingdom, and Australia in 2001. In 2005, SSI acquired Bloomerce bv of the Netherlands, an online sampling company in Europe. SSI now manages proprietary online panels (under the names SurveySpot, Opinion Outpost, OpinionWorld, and Choozz).
In 2009, the firm played a role in launching the industry co-initiative, Research Voice. Research Voice (www.research-voice.com) is a forum inviting all members of the marketing research chain—suppliers, researchers, end clients, consultants, associations, and participants themselves—to come together and express ideas on the development of innovative approaches to gathering opinions.
In July 2011, Survey Sampling International announced its merger with Utah-based Opinionology. Though a merger, the newly formed sampling and data collection company continues to operate under the brand SSI.
Chris Fanning was named Chief Executive Officer of SSI in June 2012. Fanning joined SSI in February 2012 as President and Chief Operating Officer for SSI. Prior to SSI, Fanning served as interim CEO of Lattice Semiconductor Corporation in Portland, Oregon.
On December 17, 2014, HGGC, a middle market private equity firm, announced that it had completed its majority investment in the parent company of SSI. Though HGGC bought control of SSI, Providence Equity Partners and Sterling Investment Partners retained minority stakes in the business. Under the terms of the deal, Rich Lawson, HGGC’s chief executive, would become chairman of SSI. Steve Young, a former professional football quarterback who is a partner at the private equity firm, would also join the board.
As of February 2015, SSI had 25 global offices in 18 countries. Its corporate headquarters is located in Shelton, CT, USA. The firm has over 3,300 employees globally. It has more than 3,000 customers, including market research and consulting firms as well as Fortune 500 businesses and universities.
The firm gives researchers access to consumer and business-to-business research respondents in 86 countries via Internet, telephone—both landline and wireless/mobile—and mail. SSI also provides full service data collection for telephone or online, including survey programming and hosting, data processing, and design consultation.
Unwanted marketing from this company can be reported to the FCC.
- The New York Times http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE2D6123AF931A15754C0A9619C8B63
- Daily Research News http://www.mrweb.com/drno/printable/pn7049.htm
- Research Magazine http://www.research-live.com/news/ssi-co-founder-tom-danbury-dies-aged-71/3003422.article
- Research Magazine http://www.research-live.com/news/ssi-moves-into-europe-with-bloomerce-buy/3000651.article
- Research Magazine http://www.research-live.com/news/news-headlines/coke-and-unilever-to-trial-arf-online-quality-programme/4001048.article
- Bloomberg http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aBTY3bFwcZsE
- Research Magazine http://www.research-live.com/news/m-and-a/ssi-and-opinionology-finalise-merger/4005572.article
- PR Newswire http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ssi-names-christopher-fanning-as-its-new-president-and-chief-operating-officer-140709773.html
- HGGC http://www.hggc.com/media/19729/hgcc_ssi_pr_announcement_final_11-9-14__1_.pdf
- The New York Times http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/hggc-to-buy-control-of-survey-sampling-international/
- MarketWatch http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ge-antares-provides-330-million-to-support-hggcs-majority-ownership-investment-in-survey-sampling-international-llc-2014-12-19
- Business Week http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=4457406