Susan L. Smith
Susan L. Smith is an associate professor emeritus in the Department of Visual Arts at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD). She is noted for her 1995 book The Power of Women: A Topos in Medieval Art and Literature, an expansion of her groundbreaking 1978 doctoral dissertation on the Power of Women topos.
Smith received her BA from Swarthmore College, where she studied history and philosophy. She did graduate work in Medieval Studies at Yale University, and received her PhD in art history from the University of Pennsylvania in 1978. She subsequently taught at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) as a visitor on several occasions, before joining the Department of Visual Arts at the university in 1987.
Her 1978 doctoral dissertation on the Power of Women topos has had an enormous impact on art history. She was the first to explore this group of medieval themes focusing on the ways women employ their feminine wiles to triumph over men.
She has been awarded numerous grants and awards, including a University of California Humanities Research Institute Fellowship for her participation in the collaborative research project "Theorizing Visual Culture: Discourse, Discipline, Pedagogy".
- Smith, Susan Louise. The power of women: A topos in medieval art and literature. Univ of Pennsylvania Pr, 1995. ISBN 978-0-8122-3279-0
- Scholarly articles
- Smith, Susan L. (1990). "The Power of Women Topos on a Fourteenth-Century Embroidery". Viator. 12: 203–234.
- Smith, Susan L. (1994). "A Nude Judith from Padua and the Reception of Donatello's Bronze David". Comitatus: A Journal of Medieval and Renaissance Studies. 25 (1).
- Smith, Susan L. (1995). "The Bride Stripped Bare: A Rare Type of the Disrobing of Christ". Gesta. 34 (2): 126–146. JSTOR 767284.
- Smith, Susan L. (2003). "The Gothic Mirror and the Female Gaze". In Carroll, Jane L.; Stewart, Alison G. Saints, Sinners, and Sisters: Gender and Northern Art in Medieval and Early Modern Europe. Ashgate. pp. 73–93. ISBN 978-0754605898.
- Smith, Susan L. (2006). "Women on Top". In Schaus, Margaret. Women and Gender in Medieval Europe: An Encyclopedia. Routledge. pp. 844–845. ISBN 978-0415969444.
- Harp, Margaret. Rocky Mountain Review of Language and Literature 50.2 (1996): 208–210. JStor
- Wolfthal, Diane. "Susan L. Smith, The Power of Women: A Topos in Medieval Art and Literature. University of Pennsylvania Press, 1995" Medieval Feminist Newsletter 22 (1996)
|This biographical article about an American art historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|