Susan K. Nolen-Hoeksema
|Died||January 2, 2013 (aged 53)|
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
|Alma mater||Yale University, University of Pennsylvania|
|Known for||Rumination, depression, gender|
|Institutions||Yale University, Stanford University, University of Michigan|
|Thesis||Developmental studies of explanatory style, and learned helplessness in children (1986)|
|Doctoral advisor||Martin E.P. Seligman|
|Doctoral students||Sonja Lyubomirsky|
Susan Kay Nolen-Hoeksema (May 22, 1959 – January 2, 2013) was an American professor of psychology at Yale University. Her research explored how mood regulation strategies could correlate to a person's vulnerability to depression, with special focus on a construct she called rumination as well as gender differences.
Education and employment
Nolen-Hoeksema was born in Springfield, Illinois. As an undergraduate, Susan Nolen-Hoeksema attended Yale University where she received a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. She graduated in 1982 summa cum laude. She then went on to University of Pennsylvania where she earned a Master of Arts (1984) and Ph.D (1986) in clinical psychology. As a graduate student, Susan's research focused primarily on understanding the predictors of depression among children and adolescents. Nolen-Hoeksema led the Depression and Cognition Program at Yale University. Though traditionally the focus of the lab was on depression, past and current work focused on generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder and other mood disorders.
From 1986 to 1995, she was a faculty member at Stanford University receiving tenure in 1993. From 1995 to 2004 she was a tenured professor at University of Michigan in the Personality Area. From 2004 to 2013, Nolen-Hoeksema was a professor and researcher at Yale, as well as the head of the Yale Depression and Cognition Program.
She died on January 2, 2013, of complications from heart surgery to repair damage caused by a blood infection.
Honors and awards
- James McKeen Cattell Fellow Award, 2013 from the Association for Psychological Science.
- Nolen-Hoeksema's life work and research was honored in February 2014 by a special section in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology, volume 123, issue 1.
Nolen-Hoeksema published a dozen books, including scholarly books, textbooks, and three books for the general public on women's mental health.
- Atkinson and Hilgard's Introduction to Psychology 16th Ed." Engage Learning EMEA, 2014.
- The Power of Women: Harness Your Unique Strengths at Home, at Work, and in Your Community, 2010, Times Books
- Atkinson and Hilgard's Introduction to Psychology 15th Ed.. Wadsworth Cengage Learning: EMEA, 2009.
- Handbook of depression in adolescents (with Lori Hilt)  2008, Routledge
- Women Conquering Depression: How to Gain Control of Eating, Drinking, and Overthinking and Embrace a Healthier Life 2006, Henry Holt
- Women Who Think Too Much: How to Break Free of Overthinking and Reclaim Your Life 2003, Holt
- Atkinson and Hilgard's Introduction to Psychology 14th. Ed.. Wadsworth/Thomson Learning: Belmont, 2003.
- Coping With Loss (with Judith Larson )  1999, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers
- Clashing Views on Abnormal Psychology 1998 Dushkin/McGraw-Hill
- Sex Differences in Depression 1990, Stanford University Press
- Depression: Treatment and Management (2 Volumes) (with Haraton Davidian and Hamideh Jahangiri ), volume one  volume two 
- Psychotherapy of depression in elderly (3 Volumes) (with Hamzeh Ganji and Hamideh Jahangiri ), volume one  volume two  volume three 
- Menton, Jane Darby (4 January 2013). "Psychology department chair dies". Yale Daily News.
- "In memoriam: Susan Nolen-Hoeksema". Yale News. 7 January 2013.
- Carey, Benedict (13 January 2013). "Susan Nolen-Hoeksema, Psychologist Who Studied Depression in Women, Dies at 53". The New York Times.
- Kaslow, Nadine J.; Hilt, Lori; Wisco, Blair E.; Brownell, Kelly D. (July–August 2013). "Susan Nolen-Hoeksema (1959-2013)". American Psychologist. American Psychological Association. 68 (5): 404. doi:10.1037/a0033053.
- Lyubomirsky, Sonya; Layous, Kristin; Chancellor, Joseph; Nelson, S. Katherine (March 2015). "Thinking About Rumination: The Scholarly Contributions and Intellectual Legacy of Susan Nolen-Hoeksema" (PDF). Annual Review of Clinical Psychology. 11: 1–22. doi:10.1146/annurev-clinpsy-032814-112733. PMID 25581241.
- "Yale Depression & Cognition Program". Yale.edu. Archived from the original on 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2012-02-10.
- Widiger, Thomas; Cannon, Tyrone D. (March 2013), "In Memoriam: Susan Nolen-Hoeksema", Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 9 (1), doi:10.1146/annurev-cp-9-031513-100001
- "Honoring a Lifetime of Achievement: Susan K. Nolen-Hoeksema". Association for Psychological Science. 23 April 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "Reflecting on a Lifetime of Achievement". APS Observer. Vol. 26, no. 3. Association for Psychological Science. March 2013. pp. 12–13.
- Jaffe, Eric (July–August 2013). "A Legend in the Study of Rumination". APS Observer. Vol. 26, no. 6. Association for Psychological Science. pp. 25–26.
- "Journal of Abnormal Psychology, Volume 123, Issue 1 (February 2014)". American Psychological Association. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, Susan (2010). The Power of Women: Harness Your Unique Strengths at Home, at Work, and in Your Community. Times Books. ISBN 978-0805088670.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, Susan; Hilt, Lori M. (2012). Handbook of Depression in Adolescents. Routledge. ISBN 978-0415648202.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, Susan (2010). Women Conquering Depression: How to Gain Control of Eating, Drinking, and Overthinking and Embrace a Healthier Life. Holt Paperbacks. ISBN 978-0805092226.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, Susan (2004). Women Who Think Too Much: How to Break Free of Overthinking and Reclaim Your Life. Holt Paperbacks. ISBN 978-0805075250.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, Susan; Larson, Judith M. (1998). Coping with Loss. Routledge. ISBN 978-0805821390.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, Susan (1993). Sex Differences in Depression. Stanford University Press. ISBN 978-0804721806.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, Susan; Davidian, Haraton; Jahangiri, Hamideh (2018). Depression: Treatment and Management. Lap Lambert. ISBN 978-613-9-99560-8.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, Susan; Davidian, Haraton; Jahangiri, Hamideh (2018). Depression: Treatment and Management. Lap Lambert. ISBN 978-3-659-87340-9.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, Susan; Ganji, Hamzeh; Jahangiri, Hamideh (2020). Psychotherapy of depression in elderly Volume 1. Scholar's Press. ISBN 978-613-8-94228-3.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, Susan; Ganji, Hamzeh; Jahangiri, Hamideh (2020). Psychotherapy of depression in elderly Volume 2. Scholar's Press. ISBN 978-613-8-94232-0.
- Nolen-Hoeksema, Susan; Ganji, Hamzeh; Jahangiri, Hamideh (2020). Psychotherapy of depression in elderly Volume 3. Scholar's Press. ISBN 978-613-8-94233-7.
- What Happens When Things Go Wrong: Mental Illness, Part I, Paul Bloom and Susan Nolen-Hoeksema, Academic Earth