British quad poster
|Directed by||Alfred Shaughnessy|
|Produced by||Robert Dunbar|
|Written by||Kenneth R. Hayles (as Kenneth Hayles)
Robert Dunbar (additional scenes and dialogue)
Alfred Shaughnessy (additional scenes and dialogue)
|Based on||original story by Kenneth R. Hayles (as Kenneth Hayles)|
|Edited by||Robert Jordan Hill (as Robert Hill)|
|Distributed by||J. Arthur Rank (UK)|
|February 1957 (UK)|
Suspended Alibi is a 1957 black and white British crime film directed by Alfred Shaughnessy and starring Patrick Holt, Honor Blackman and Lloyd Lamble. The film was produced by Robert Dunbar for Act Films Ltd. It was reissued in the U.S. as Suspected Alibi.
Paul Pearson's alibi for seeing his mistress Diana is with his friend, but when this friend is found murdered, Pearson is arrested for the crime, condemned by his own alibi and sentenced to hang. Fortunately, his story is believed by Sandy Thorpe, a diligent crime reporter, who helps to fight Pearson's case.
- Patrick Holt as Paul Pearson
- Honor Blackman as Lynn Pearson
- Valentine Dyall as Inspector Kayes
- Naomi Chance as Diana
- Lloyd Lamble as Waller
- Andrew Keir as Sandy Thorpe
- Frederick Piper as Mr. Beamster
- Viola Lyel as Mrs. Beamster
- Bryan Coleman as Bill Forrest
- Brown Derby as Sergeant Roberts
- Wally Patch as Porter
- Madoline Thomas as Granny
- Edgar Wreford as Prison Chaplain
The Stop Button wrote, "the movie opens with a neat trick–Holt’s creeping through the opening credits with a gun drawn only for a curtain to pull and reveal he’s playing cowboy and Indian with his son (in England?)–and I hope a better film stole it because it’s a reasonably deft move. But as far as film noir goes–bad film noir–the incompetent direction disqualifies Suspended Alibi. Even from the label" ;  while Britmovie called the film an "efficient thriller...undemanding yet fanciful b-movie crime drama crisply directed by Alfred Shaughnessy";  and TV Guide noted "an okay crime drama that passes the time pleasantly." 
- "Suspended Alibi". BFI.
- Snow Leopard (1 February 1957). "Suspended Alibi (1957)". IMDb.
- Action! Fifty Years in the Life of a Union. Published: 1983 (UK). Publisher: ACTT. ISBN 0 9508993 0 5. ACT Films Limited - Ralph Bond p81 (producer listed as Robert Dunbar)
- "Suspended Alibi (1956, Alfred Shaughnessy)". The Stop Button.
- "Suspended Alibi".
- "Suspended Alibi". TV Guide.
|This article related to a British film of the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|