|Swyer–James Syndrome/ Macleod Syndrome|
|Swyer–James syndrome of the left (smaller) lung, virtual CT-bronchography.|
|Classification and external resources|
Swyer–James syndrome (SJS, also called Swyer–James–Macleod's syndrome) is a rare lung disorder found by English chest physician William Mathiseon Macleod, and (simultaneously) by physician Paul Robert Swyer and radiologist George James in the 1950s in Canada. At the same time J. Bret was exploring this illness in France, and consequently it is sometimes referred to as Brett's syndrome.
Swyer–James syndrome is a manifestation of postinfectious obliterative bronchiolitis. In SJS, the involved lung or portion of the lung does not grow normally and is slightly smaller than the opposite lung. The characteristic radiographic appearance is that of pulmonary hyperlucency, caused by overdistention of the alveoli in conjunction with diminished arterial flow. and has been linked to adenovirus type 21.
In appearance Swyer–James normally leaves shadowing in a CT scan in the upper lobar regions of one or (rarely) both lungs. Patients with the illness operate in much the same way as patients with mild bronchiectasis. As a result, the illness can go undiagnosed for some time. With current pharmaceutical developments, the prognosis is good for sufferers of the illness to lead normal and healthy lives.
- Macleod, W. M. (1954). "Abnormal transradiancy of one lung" (PDF). Thorax. 9 (2): 147–153. doi:10.1136/thx.9.2.147. PMC . PMID 13179127.
- Swyer, PR; James, GCW (1953). "A case of unilateral pulmonary emphysema". Thorax. 8: 133–136. doi:10.1136/thx.8.2.133. PMC . PMID 13077508.
- Braunschweig M, Gal I (April 2001). "Swyer-James syndrome". JBR-BTR : Organe De La Société Royale Belge De Radiologie (SRBR) = Orgaan Van De Koninklijke Belgische Vereniging Voor Radiologie (KBVR). 84 (2): 57. PMID 11374630.
- Chalmers JH (September 1999). "Swyer-James syndrome". Seminars in Respiratory Infections. 14 (3): 295–7. PMID 10501317.
- Cumming GR, Macpherson RI, Chernick V (February 1971). "Unilateral hyperlucent lung syndrome in children". The Journal of Pediatrics. 78 (2): 250–60. doi:10.1016/S0022-3476(71)80008-2. PMID 4321945.
- Khalil KF, Saeed W (March 2008). "Swyer-James-MacLeod Syndrome". Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons--Pakistan : JCPSP. 18 (3): 190–2. PMID 18460255.
- Gopinath A, Strigun D, Banyopadhyay T (2005). "Swyer-James syndrome". Connecticut Medicine. 69 (6): 325–7. PMID 16184857.
- Kliegman, Robert; Richard M Kliegman (2006). Nelson essentials of pediatrics. St. Louis, Mo: Elsevier Saunders. ISBN 0-8089-2325-0.