This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
SystemX is a Scientific Cooperation Foundation that counts 10 founding members among which 6 are companies (Alstom, Renault, Bull, Kalray, Sherpa, OVH), 3 are academic partners (Inria, Institut Mines-Télécom, the FCS Campus Paris-Saclay) and one is a competitiveness cluster (Systematic Paris-Region).
SystemX set up its Technological and Scientific Council, composed of 12 members, which will provide, amongst other tasks, guidance to the Institute regarding its scientific orientation and international openness strategy.
SystemX is an Institute for Technological Research (IRT) that was established on February 1, 2012, in the framework of the “Investment for the future” program that was set up in order to support French Innovation.
A total of 8 IRTs have been created by the government. Those institutes represent a new dynamic of innovation for the country and aim at strengthening territorial attractiveness.
Only IRT in the Île-de-France Region dedicated to the digital engineering of complex systems, SystemX addresses current technological stakes thanks to collective innovation.
SystemX’s functioning lies on two fundamental aspects:
- Co-localization of the actors: the Institute gathers in one same place all the partners involved in its projects. The idea is to foster synergies between academic and industrial communities;
- Skills and platforms pooling: by reaching a critical mass, SystemX will create a platform made of the pooling of numerous skills and technological bricks.
R&D projects and training
SystemX chose to orient its activities towards four priority sectors:
- Transport and mobility
- Security and defense
More precisely, the Institute has rolled out its research in seven thematics, themselves split in two programs:
- Systems of systems: energy management, multimodal transport, security and multimedia
- Technologies and tools for digital engineering: embedded systems, high-performance computing, cloud computing and networks, simulation and conception tools.
With regards to training, SystemX is interested in academic-industrial relationships concerning the “systems, modelization, complexity” challenges - at the bachelor, master and PhD levels.
Thanks to its localization on the Saclay plateau, which will host the future [Paris-Saclay University], SystemX benefits from Systematic Paris-Region competitiveness cluster and the Paris-Saclay Campus' dynamics – ranked among the world's top 8 world innovating clusters by the MIT Technology Review.
Company record sheet
President: Pascal Cléré
Chief executive officer: Eric Perrin-Pelletier
- February 21, 2013: SystemX’s official inauguration
- October 31, 2012: Convention signing with ANR (Agence Nationale de la Recherche), the French National Research Agency.
- February 1, 2012: Labelling announcement as part of the “Great Loan” (Grand Emprunt) in the framework of the “Investment for the future” program).
- From 100 to 250 researchers, of which 50 researchers hired by SystemX
- € 30M annual budget
Legal status: Fondation de cooperation scientifique -Scientific Research Foundation
Head office: Nano-Innov (Palaiseau) Other offices: Inria (Place d’Italie – Paris; Lincs)
Thematics: digital engineering of complex systems
- "World Innovation Clusters". 2013.