Saint Paul's Tower and Chapel (Malta)
|St Paul's Tower and Chapel|
Torri u Batterija ta' San Pawl
Torri ta' San Pawl, also known as Ta' Bettina
Saint Paul's Tower and Chapel are a defensive tower and chapel in Delimara, Marsaxlokk, Malta. The tower is also referred to as Ta' Bettina Tower  and in official documents as Delimara Tower.[A] A tower and chapel already existed in 1776, when Claudio Muscati Xiberras was granted the title Marchese di Xrob il-Għaġin.
The tower consists of three rooms at ground floor level used for residential purposes. The rooms have a high ceiling and are very well kept. The living area is part of the tower and has arched ceilings with typical Maltese stone-slabs (Maltese: kileb). The two storey L-shaped tower has a plain external appearance, while the lower part has a slight slope. There is a plain projecting string course between the ground and first floor, while the first floor has a ‘dashed’ plain projecting cornice. The tower has small window openings and machicolations (Maltese: gallarija tal-misħun) for the throwing projectiles or boiling liquid onto besiegers.
The current chapel was built in 1740 by Elisabetta Muscat Cassia Dorell, and rebuilt in 1831 by her daughter Marchioness Angelica Moscati Cassia Dorell. It was restored in 1931 by Angelo Muscat Cassia Dorell.
- In the 2009 Government Gazzette listing the property, the tower is referred to as: "Delimara Tower (formerly listed as St Paul's Tower), Marsaxlokk."
- "Snapshots of …Ta' Bettina Tower (Bettina's Tower)". allaboutmalta.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- "St Paul's Tower and chapel, Marsaxlokk". Times of Malta. 2012-10-27. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- Camilleri, A. (2008). "Il-port ta' Marsaxlokk u madwaru" (PDF). L-Imnara. 9 (1): 22–34 – via um.edu.mt.
- "Gazzetta tal-Gvern ta' Malta" (PDF). gov.mt. 2009-12-23. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- "PROTECTION OF ANTIQUITIES REGULATIONS". justiceservices.gov.mt. 1932-11-21. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ta' Bettina Tower.|
|This Malta location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|