Tadao Takashima in 1956
|Born||27 July 1930|
|Died||26 June 2019 (aged 88)|
Hanayo Sumi (m. 1963)
|Children||3; including Masahiro and Masanobu|
Tadao Takashima (高島忠夫 Takashima Tadao) (27 July 1930 – 26 June 2019) was a Japanese actor and jazz musician. He appeared in more than 100 films, including the Toho productions King Kong vs. Godzilla, Atragon, and Frankenstein Conquers the World. He also performed in stage musicals such as My Fair Lady and appeared in several television shows.
Takashima began participating in a jazz band while a student at Kwansei Gakuin University. He left the university before graduating when he joined the Shintoho studio, debuting as an actor in 1952. He starred in the 1962 film King Kong vs. Godzilla alongside Yū Fujiki, and subsequently acted with Fujiki in several comedy films about salarymen, which were popular in Japan at that time. Takashima also appeared in Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II.
He gained popularity as a romantic lead who could also sing, which led to roles in stage musicals, including the role of Professor Henry Higgins in a 1963 production of My Fair Lady. He also appeared on several television programs, including the quiz show Quiz! Do-re-mi-fa-don! and the cooking show Gochisosama.
In 1963, Takashima married Hanayo Sumi, a former member of Takarazuka Revue. His first-born son was murdered in 1964 at the age of five months by the family maid. He had two other sons, Masahiro Takashima and Masanobu Takashima, both of whom are actors. In 1998, Takashima developed depression, from which he subsequently recovered.
|1953||Seishun Jazu Musume||Tahara|||
|1956||Sora Tobu Enban Kyofu no Shingeki||Masao Hayashi|||
|1962||King Kong vs. Godzilla||Osamu Sakurai|||
|1962||Chūshingura: Hana no Maki, Yuki no Maki||Jûjirô Hazama|||
|1963||Love Me, Love Me||Inspector Ôki|||
|1964||You Can Succeed, Too||Nakai|||
|1965||Frankenstein Conquers the World||Dr. Yuzo Kawaji|||
|1967||Son of Godzilla||Dr. Kusumi|||
|1993||Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II||Chief Hosono|||
- "高島忠夫さんが26日に死去 88歳 老衰のため" [Tadao Takashima dies on 26th and is 88 years old]. Livedoor News (in Japanese). 28 June 2019. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Japanese Actor Tadao Takashima Dies at 88". Nippon.com. 28 June 2019. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Ryfle, Steve (April 1998). Japan's Favorite Mon-Star: The Unauthorized Biography of "The Big G". ECW Press. p. 99. ISBN 978-1550223484.
- "高島忠夫さん、老衰で死去 ８８歳 政宏＆政伸兄弟の父". スポーツ報知 (in Japanese). 28 June 2019. Retrieved 29 June 2019.
- "Takashima Tadao". Nihon jinmei daijiten+Plus (in Japanese). Kōdansha. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- Galbraith IV, Stuart (22 November 2006). "Mothra vs. Godzilla / Godzilla vs. The Thing". DVD Talk. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Galbraith IV, Stuart (31 January 2005). "Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla II". DVD Talk. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Parker, Clark (24 September 2016). "Chiemi Eri as Eliza Doolittle: 'My Fair Lady' in Japan, 1963". TheTokyoFilesMedia.com. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Tadao Takashima, actor who starred in 'Botchan,' 'My Fair Lady,' dies at 88". The Japan Times. 28 June 2019. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Takashima Tadao - Official profile". Toho performing arts official site. Toho Co., Ltd. Archived from the original on 29 August 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "銀幕スターとの生活で膨らむ優越感……「高島家長男殺害」の少女｜サイゾーウーマン". サイゾーウーマン (in Japanese). Retrieved 29 June 2019.
- "高島忠夫夫妻 長男殺害事件を語る". デイリースポーツ online (in Japanese). Retrieved 29 June 2019.
- Miyano, Oki; Aiken, Keith (24 May 2007). "TV Movie Details Actor Tadao Takashima's Battle with Depression". SciFi Japan. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Galbraith IV, Stuart (May 16, 2008). The Toho Studios Story: A History and Complete Filmography. Scarecrow Press. p. 199. ISBN 978-0810860049.