Tagonoura stable (2013)
The stable was established on 1 February 1989 by former yokozuna Takanosato Toshihide. The stable's first sekitori was Rikio in 1994. Four more, Wakanosato, Takanowaka, Takayasu and Kisenosato, have reached sekiwake rank, with Takayasu and Kisenosato going on to reach the ōzeki and yokozuna ranks respectively in 2017. It had a reputation for being a close, family-knit stable, as Naruto did not allow his wrestlers to go out and train at other stables (which is unusual in sumo) or socialize with wrestlers from different stables.
Naruto died suddenly on 7 November 2011. The stable's current master, former maegashira Takanotsuru, changed to the Tagonoura toshiyori in December 2013 and renamed the stable accordingly. Upon changing the stable name, the stable was also moved to the Ryōgoku area from Matsudo, Chiba. It has no connection to the defunct Tagonoura stable established by the late Kushimaumi. As of the January 2018 tournament it had 12 wrestlers. Five of them are new recruits who joined for the March 2017 tournament.
Ring name conventions
Many wrestlers at this stable have taken ring names or shikona that end with the character 里 (read: sato), in deference to their coach and the stable's owner, the deceased former Takanosato.
- 2011-present: 16th Tagonoura: (shunin, former maegashira Takanotsuru)
- 1989-2011: 13th Naruto: (the 59th yokozuna Takanosato)
Notable active wrestlers
Notable former members
- Kimura Takao (jūryō gyōji, real name Keiichirō Shigeyama)
- Kimura Takanosuke (makushita gyōji, real name Satoru Ishimaru)
- Mitsuaki (jūryō yobidashi, real name Mitsuaki Kanai)
- Tokonaru (2nd class tokoyama)
Location and access
- List of sumo stables
- List of active sumo wrestlers
- List of past sumo wrestlers
- Glossary of sumo terms
- Gunning, John (31 May 2017). "Takayasu's rise built on solid family support". Japan Times. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- Miki, Shuji (17 June 2017). "SUMO ABC (53) / A stable where notable rikishi were steeped in sumo's fundamentals". The Japan News. Retrieved 19 June 2017.