National Taichung Theater
|Address||No. 101, Section 2, Huilai Rd, Xitun District
|Owner||Taichung City Government|
|Capacity||2,014 (grand theater) |
23 November 2014 (partial)2016 (official)
The National Taichung Theater (Chinese: 台中國家歌劇院; pinyin: Táizhōng Guójiā Gējù Yuàn) (POJ: Tâi-Tiong Kok-Ka Koa-Ke̍k-Īⁿ) is an opera house in the 7th Metropolitan area of Taichung, Taiwan. The estimated area of the structure is 57,685 square metres (620,920 sq ft). It was designed by Japanese architect Toyo Ito in collaboration with Cecil Balmond at Arup AGU. It was contracted on 11 November 2009 with construction planned for 45 months. The venue had a partial opening on 23 November 2014. It will re-open in 2016.
- 1992: Taiwan government first proposed as National Musical House
- 2002: Jason Hu proposed to build in Taichung
- 2003: 6 billion TWD was allocated to the budget
- 2006: Contracted with a local company
- 2009: Contract signed with Toyo Ito
- 23 November 2014: Completed, opening ceremony held
- 2015: Closed for additional works to improve safety of visitors
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Taichung Theater.|
- "Taichung National Opera House to open in November". Focus Taiwan. Central News Agency. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- "Taichung mayor says opera house will open next year". Taipei Times. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
|This article about a Taiwanese building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|