Talk:Battle of San Juan (1598)/GA1
- I cannot get the page for the citation for #4 to work properly. Would it be okay to fail this one until I can find the proper sources for that sentence, as I cannot find an exact one? I'm starting to become a little reckless with these GAN, and just need to focus on one article at a time. If I should have nominated any, it should have been the Siege of St. John's. My most sincere apologies....LeftAire (talk) 20:29, 12 December 2012 (UTC)
- This should be rephrased, and possibly split into two sentences: They were able to hold the castle for 65 days but disease took its toll and the English forces left but not before plundering and burning San Juan to the ground.
- Link Drake, Dominica,
- Rework the first para of the background section as it doesn't really make sense. Elizabeth wasn't alarmed at all; she wanted to avenge the defeat, etc.
- Use "only" instead of "merely"
- The ships need "the" added in front of their tonnages/names.
- How does a fleet refresh? And the Earl sailed to the Virgin Islands, not transferred.
- Rephrase this and punctuate it properly: However one mile short of the city he and his men came up to a bridge known as San Antonio, the only land access to the San Juan islet.
- Is Sierra Alta really notable?
- Who inflicted the 40 casualties, the English or the Spanish?
- Link or describe the location of Escambron Point.
- I'm having the same problem with source #4 as you are.
In general, there's a lot of work that needs to be done cleaning up the language to meet the GA standard. I'd suggest contact the Guild of Copyeditors and asking for help before you resubmit as I got tired of noting the problems.--Sturmvogel 66 (talk) 18:02, 15 December 2012 (UTC)
- Actually, I didn't do the majority of this writing, my assistance in this was just added some citations. I don't think I'll resubmit this for a while, and focus on the Portuguese Empire for now. I was so anxious to get back on the trail of getting certain articles to GA before my haitus, I was nominating articles I did little work on (I actually had several of those as recognized GA content) and making errors I wouldn't have before. I only have one GA under my belt that I did the majority of the work on, so I'll contact the Guild the next time I work on this page. Thanks for the suggestion.LeftAire (talk) 23:47, 15 December 2012 (UTC)