From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Disambiguation
WikiProject icon This page is within the scope of WikiProject Disambiguation, an attempt to structure and organize all disambiguation pages on Wikipedia. If you wish to help, you can edit the page attached to this talk page, or visit the project page, where you can join the project or contribute to the discussion.
WikiProject Color (Rated Start-class, High-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is supported by WikiProject Color, a project that provides a central approach to color-related subjects on Wikipedia. Help us improve articles to good and 1.0 standards; visit the wikiproject page for more details.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 High  This article has been rated as High-importance on the project's importance scale.


Put your text for the new page here. How have colorimeters changed over the years?

this is stupid

Does anyone know what the box is called where you put the liquid that you want testing into? Thanks - it's called a cuvette

colorimeters do not select wavelength, merely a coloured slide that coveres a range of wavelengths, wave length selection is done on a spectrophotometer

how do u select a particular wave lenth in a colorimetr

By using filters. Biscuittin (talk) 12:28, 19 October 2009 (UTC)

apparently, the highest a reading can go on a colorimeter in the absorbance setting is 1.00, i.e. all the light is absorbed. however, during my experiments, i managed to smehow attain results of oer 1.00, e.g. 1.72, etc i have heard now, in contrast to what i initially thought, that colorimeters can go up to a reading of 2.00. i would be glad if someone could let me know what this reading shows, and if it is possible?

Sounds like you are talking about absorbance units.

A colorimeter may be calibrated in transmittance units (0-100%) or in absorbance units (zero to infinity). It is usual to work in the absorbance range 0-1. It is possible to work in the range 1-2 but the response becomes increasingly non-linear in this range. Biscuittin (talk) 12:37, 19 October 2009 (UTC)

Different types of devices all called colorimeter[edit]

This article mostly talks about the device that measures the absorbance of a solution, but those devices that measure the emittance of a display device (CRT, LCD, etc) or the reflectance of ink on paper are also called colorimeters. It does not give an equal treatment of these devices and is not clear about them at all. I think the introductory paragraph needs rewriting to make mention of all the kinds of colorimeters. ralmin (talk) 22:57, 10 December 2007 (UTC)

How about splitting into absorption colorimeter and tristimulus colorimeter and disambiguating colorimeter? --Adoniscik (talk) 22:05, 11 February 2008 (UTC)
"Absorption colorimeter" is a good new term that I fully support. But it's not accepted. I think that the following pages will be nice to have in Wikipedia: Colorimeter (the one used in chemistry), Tristimulus_colorimeter and Colorimeter_(disambiguation). Alexander Ogorodnikov (talk) 11:43, 18 June 2009 (UTC)
I suggest "Colorimeter" as a disambig page pointing to "Colorimeter (chemistry)" and "Tristimulus colorimeter". Biscuittin (talk) 12:25, 19 October 2009 (UTC)
Done. I have updated the "Laboratory equipment" template and I think this will correct most of the links. Biscuittin (talk) 16:00, 19 October 2009 (UTC)