I might be wrong here - but isn't despatch the American spelling?
I had understood that the correct spelling is 'Dispatch Box'
- This isn't a case of Britain versus America. Dispatch is the recommended spelling in every modern reference book I can find, but despatch does seem to be quite popular.
- OED:dispatch only; describes despatch as an error
- Fowler's Modern: dispatch only
- Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors: dispatch only
- Chambers Dictionary: prefers dispatch
- Dr. Walter W. Skeat. in An Etymological Dictionary of the English Language, quoted in New York Times (1902): says despatch is correct
- The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993: Dispatch is the usual spelling, despatch an infrequent Standard variant.
- Guardian and Observer style guide (UK): dispatch, dispatch box (Commons), dispatched; not despatch, despatched
- Based on these sources I don't think we should be using despatch in Wikipedia.
- Despatch Box, the BBC TV programme
- but then dispatch and despatch get almost equal numbers of ghits on bbc.co.uk. --Heron (talk) 15:22, 29 April 2009 (UTC)
- James Murray, founder of the OED, had strong opinions on the matter. In his Romanes Lecture in 1900  he blamed "this erroneous spelling despatch" on Samuel Johnson. I suppose this explains why the OUP is so unanimous on the issue, and why others cling to the opposite view even though Johnson's version was obviously a clerical error.
- --Heron (talk) 15:40, 29 April 2009 (UTC)
"The box on the Government's side houses a number of holy books of various religions including a Bible and a Qu'ran. The Opposition's box contains a burnt Bible, dating back to the destruction of the Commons chamber during the second world war by a German bomb. The Bible was resting on the centre table at the time the bomb detonated and remarkably was recovered largely intact."
Because I am sure this is true, I have heard it from several MPs I have spoken to and other knowledgeable persons. So either it is true or very popular Commons' rumour. --skellious (talk) 14:27, 8 May 2008 (UTC)
Merging Article to Red Box (Government)
Unless there are objections, I have looked at Red Box (Government) and this page (Dispatch Box) and find that there is enough of an overlap to warrent a merge. Also that on Red Box it specifically indicates that another name is Dispatch Box with no relevant links.
As this page was first indicated for merging in October 2008, I will begin merging the pages shortly. I have placed the relevant templates on each page.