Talk:Hank (textile)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Textile Arts (Rated Stub-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Textile Arts, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of textile arts on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Stub-Class article Stub  This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the importance scale.

hank —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 01:50, 19 July 2009 (UTC)

The disambiguation page for Skein directs you to this page if you are talking about a skein of yarn. However, there is no mention on the page of a skein and how it might differ from a hank. I gather from the caption to one of the photos that there is a difference between them, and I suspect it is how they are created, with the hank being coiled and twisted and the skein being "rolled" in some manner. It would be useful to have either some description here about what a skein is, or to have a completely new page about a skein. (Unfortunately I don't know enough to add anything useful here.) Dyork (talk) 17:53, 10 April 2014 (UTC)

  • I just had the exact same experience. I think someone messed up: either there should be a separate article on "skeins", or what a skein is needs to be explained in this article somewhere, which it currently is not. I think someone messed up... But I, too, am a novice in this area. Darn. KDS4444Talk 17:29, 7 February 2015 (UTC)
    • Dyork KDS4444 OK, now that makes three of us. I too searched "skein", found the disambiguation page, picked "Hank" and found no mention of the word "skein" here. I think I will alert the Wikiproject at the top of this talk page, and maybe edit the skein disambiguation page, or leave a message on its talk page, or something. This has happened three times that we know of, so there's a problem. Chrisrus (talk) 05:19, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
    • What we would call a Skein where I grew up is what Americans call hanks, Americans call what I would call a ball a skein, so there are regional versions of the word that makes things more confusing. So on one hand an American Hank and a Newzealand (and possibly English and Australian) Skein are exactley the same thing, on the other hand an American Skein and and New Zealand hank are completley different. Kathelyne A (talk) 10:05, 19 April 2017 (UTC)Kathelyne_A
      • Kathelyne A, now we are getting somewhere. Can you find any published sources to back that up? Because if it is true, that might solve our problem here (also: how does an American skein differ from a New Zealand hank? Am quite curious). KDS4444 (talk) 17:34, 19 April 2017 (UTC)
        • KDS4444 unfortunatley not, it's something I just discovered recentley by talking to Americans online about knitting (someone asked if people rewound their skeins before knitting, but posted a picture of a ball of yarn). The closest I can get to sources is an English source defining skein and and american source defining one and the definitions being different. In New Zealand a skein is something you make on a skein winder or niddy noddy. It is loops of yarn going round and round. Americans call certin types of balls of wool skeins. THey call what they make on a skein maker or niddy noddy a hank. Kathelyne A (talk) 10:40, 23 April 2017 (UTC)Kathelyne_A

In any case, I believed I have now dealt with the problem: I found a source that says a skein is 1/6th of a hank. That may be the best we can do here given the internationalization and vagueness of the term. KDS4444 (talk) 23:16, 24 April 2017 (UTC)