"Kinetics, a subsidiary of NCR" is a horrible name for this article... is there a better way to name it? ---J.Smith 18:53, 31 March 2006 (UTC)
Good point but...
I can't really change it to Kinetics... that is taken already since it is a scientific term and entry. If I add the company slogan I bet the advertisment police will nail it.
- There really are good reasons why advertisements are cracked down on :) Sometimes people need to be a bit nicer about how they approach that issue however. ---J.Smith 19:27, 31 March 2006 (UTC)
The other option is Kinetics - Self-Service Software & Hardware
- Perhaps Kinetics (subsidiary of NCR) might be a bit more in line with the usual formatting of such things? What do they do business as? What is the most likely thing someone will search for if they want to find out more info on the company?
- If we can figure out a better name we can do a "Move" to put it in it's new name. ---J.Smith 19:27, 31 March 2006 (UTC)
- I like your idea of Kinetics (subsidiary of NCR) and everything on press releases show it as Kinetics, a subsidiary of NCR and Kinetics alone is not an option since it is an entry.Jcroasdaile 19:32, 31 March 2006 (UTC)
Kinetics (company), anyone? 126.96.36.199 20:13, 3 May 2006 (UTC)
J. Smith Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. I am just having problems understanding where the boundaries are on wiki in regards what to put up. —This unsigned comment was added by Jcroasdaile (talk • contribs) .
- No problem. I'll give you the standard welcome template on your talk page... it has some very useful links to browse:) ---J.Smith 19:27, 31 March 2006 (UTC)
Additions / Review
Is it ok if I post suggested additions here first for you to look over? I see why having a concensus is good and helps the wiki vs a single person just adding items. If you think the potential entry is valid then I would feel more comfortable posting.
Jcroasdaile 19:36, 31 March 2006 (UTC)
- I appreciate the sentiment. However, if the edit isn't controversial or if your fairly sure it's the right thing then feel free to be bold. ---J.Smith 19:57, 31 March 2006 (UTC)
I saw this on all the approved press releases and gives a much more detailed snapshot
Kinetics, a subsidiary of NCR Corporation (NYSE:NCR), is a leading provider of enterprise and self-service technologies to today's travel industry and is the architect of the modern airline self-service era. Kinetics, based in Lake Mary, Fla., produces hardware and software solutions, as well as engineering, developmental and preventive maintenance services designed to help businesses capture more revenue, expand distribution channels and enhance customer service. Kinetics technologies support all consumer channels, including kiosks, Web, PDAs, cell phones and phones (natural speech recognition).
It does have a marketing spin on it at the beginning, but if various items are facts then who is to say. Maybe delete the following portion? "is a leading provider of enterprise and self-service technologies to today's travel industry and is the architect of the modern airline self-service era."
Jcroasdaile 19:40, 31 March 2006 (UTC)
- Well, we can't just copy and paste it over... that would violate a few copywrites. (we get a bit paranoid about that here). That paragraph provides us with some valuable information. First of all it tells us the stock-symbol. Thats good to have in the article. Also, that paragraph tells us where they are based. Lastly it tells us basically what they do. That's great information... but we need to re-write it into our own words. Comments like "is a leading provider of" are fine if we can find a third party source to verify it. WP:V and WP:NPOV are the two pillars of wikipedia that are important here:) ---J.Smith 19:53, 31 March 2006 (UTC)
Requested move 2006-05-03
- Kinetics, a subsidiary of NCR → ? Not a particularly good name, orphaned discussion on talk page, Talk:Kinetics, a subsidiary of NCR. 188.8.131.52 20:16, 3 May 2006 (UTC)
- Add *Support or *Oppose followed by an optional one-sentence explanation, then sign your opinion with ~~~~
- I'd support Kinetics (company). Vegaswikian 22:01, 3 May 2006 (UTC)
- ... just move it already. If it's controversial we'll move it back. ---J.S (t|c) 00:51, 4 May 2006 (UTC)
- Are subsidiaries considered companies in their own right? --JeffW 23:01, 3 May 2006 (UTC)
- Moved to "Kinetics (company)" per Vegaswikian's suggestion above. Whether subsidiary or not, that this company has its own name suggests it is a distinct entity. Hope this okay. Regards, David Kernow 09:20, 4 May 2006 (UTC)