Mallet in 1964
19 May 1941
|Died||30 March 2019(aged 77)|
(m. 1976; died 2016)
|Relatives||Helen Mirren (cousin)|
Mallet was born on 19 May 1941 in Blackpool, the daughter of Russian former chorus girl Olga (née Mironoff) and English millionaire car salesman Henry Mallet. She was a cousin of actress Helen Mirren; her mother and Mirren's father were siblings. Their maternal grandfather, Pyotr Mironov, was a colonel in the Imperial Russian army, who was serving as a diplomat in London as the Russian Revolution was unfolding and decided to stay in the UK. Mallet was educated in both England and France. Her parents divorced and her mother later married conman George Dawson, who served three years in prison for committing fraud.
Mallet reportedly auditioned for the part of Tatiana Romanova in From Russia with Love (1963); although half-Russian, she was unsuccessful due to her English accent. According to Mallet, she was given the part of "Bond girl" Tilly Masterson in Goldfinger (1964) when someone sent a photo of her wearing a bikini to producer Albert Broccoli. Despite the film's commercial and critical success, Goldfinger was Mallet's only major film role. Cast as the revenge seeking sister of the murdered Jill Masterson (Shirley Eaton), her own character was killed by the steel-rimmed hat of Goldfinger's henchman Oddjob. Her only other acting role was in 1976, an uncredited appearance as Sara in the New Avengers episode "The Midas Touch".
Mallet cited two reasons for returning to modelling and turning down all further film offers. She did not like the restrictions imposed on her personal freedom when she was under contract during the filming of Goldfinger, including being unable to travel abroad or ride horses. She also said the money was "dreadful". She was initially offered £50 a week and managed to increase her fee to £150 a week after tough negotiations, but was still dismayed as she had been earning this kind of money daily as a model.
Mallet's cousin Helen Mirren described Mallet in her autobiography as "impossibly beautiful and kind" and "a loyal and generous person" who used her earnings from modelling to pay for her brother's education and financially support her mother.:49
|1976||The New Avengers||Sara||Episode: "The Midas Touch"|
- England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1916–2007
- Manby, Christine (6 May 2019). "Tania Mallet: The Blackpool Bond girl who shunned Hollywood". The Independent. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Mirren 2007, pp. 48, 256.
- "Goldfinger actress dies aged 77". BBC News. 1 April 2019. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- Pendreigh, Brian (5 April 2019). "Obituary: Tania Mallet, actress and model who was a Bond girl in Goldfinger". The Herald. Glasgow. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- Pulver, Andrew (1 April 2019). "Tania Mallet, Tilly Masterson in James Bond film Goldfinger, dies aged 77". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- Obituaries, Telegraph (3 April 2019). "Tania Mallet, model and actress best known as Tilly Masterson in 'Goldfinger' – obituary" – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- Mirren, Helen (2007). In the Frame: My Life in Words and Pictures. New York: Atria Books.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (31 March 2019). "Tania Mallet Dies: Model And 'Goldfinger' Actress Was 77". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- Bond, James (31 March 2019). "We are very sorry to hear that Tania Mallet who played Tilly Masterson in GOLDFINGER has passed away. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this sad time.pic.twitter.com/gMkqqheGJ7".